Thread: Motability - Driver over 25 but on a provisional, help?

Motability - Driver over 25 but on a provisional, help?

Hi all, I’m looking for a bit of help/advice about the Motability scheme and named drivers as I can’t seem to find much online.

Basically, I’m looking at placing an order for a Motability vehicle with a family member (who lives with me) as the sole named driver, they’re over 25 but only have a provisional license, is this allowed with NO other drivers on the insurance? I have a full drivers license and would obviously always be with them as they’re my carer and are the only way I can get out.

My next query is, if they are allowed to be the sole named driver, are we limited to the cars in the under 25 bracket? The car I’ve found that is suitable is only suitable for 25+. Now I know the individual is over 25 (by quite some way) but unsure if having a provisional would effect that, I could just be over complicating things but can’t find an answer online.

I will be going on the insurance eventually, and I have a full license so no worries there, at the moment my health has taken a hit so this is my only option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Jayl94; 06-01-2019 at 05:02 PM.

The provisional licence should not be a problem as long as they over 21.
    And the under 25 restrictions on insurance group/horsepower should not apply either.

There may be a problem if they have a provisional because they lost a previous licence though.

https://www.motability.co.uk/contact...-on-the-scheme
    For all other drivers, certain restrictions do apply regarding provisional licence holders e.g. you must be aged 21 or over, in addition to meeting all other acceptance criteria. For further details of these please contact RSA Motability and check out the Scheme's policies on who can drive your car .
    https://www.motability.co.uk/informa.../young-drivers
    Any other drivers with provisional licences must be over 21 if you want them to drive your car, and you can only have one learner driver on your Certificate of Motor Insurance at any one time.
    Motability page "Who can drive for you?":
    https://www.motability.co.uk/informa...ed-car-drivers
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi, thank you for your response and info it’s greatly appreciated.
    They have never lost a license so that shouldn’t be a problem, just a late starter to driving.
    I didn’t want to go to the dealers to place an order and it be rejected or be a problem, especially as it’s going to be a pain to get there at the moment.

But thank you again!

I am going to close this post as I have been in contact with Motability this morning who have informed me that:

Yes, a named driver can have a provisional and if they’re over 25 they can drive any car on the scheme BUT they will not be able to go on the insurance alone, another named driver will need to be allocated. If the secondary named driver is under 25 then the 25 and over age restrictions will be in place, limiting car choice.

So the car that’s most suitable is out of reach as I’m just under the 25 bracket and I have nobody else to ask to be a named driver who would fit under the 5mile radius. Bit of a pain as I can’t find any other suitable car that is automatic, and fits the restrictions. Time to explore other options!

Thought I’d update for anybody else who may hit the same question.