Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESA Backpayments since 2013 - 2018

Ah, an easier question.

So you are back on PIP as from 9 Apr 2019.

Having any rate of Daily Living PIP entitles you to the Severe Disability Premium with IR ESA (any group).
    With the usual qualifications of being classed as living alone, and nobody claiming CA for you.

ESA probably won't know that you have been awarded PIP again until you tell them.

Phone ESA and ask them to send you a form IS10 to get the SDP added to your ESA.
    The SDP will be backdated to the start of the PIP claim, so 9 Apr 2019.

SDP for a single person is currently £65.85 a week added to your IR ESA.

Having SDP also protects you from being Naturally Migrated to Universal Credit if you have a change of circumstances, (move house).
    You will still be subject to Managed Migration in a few years, whenever that happens.

You can see an example of the IS10 form here, don't use that one (except for a practice?) get them to send you an 'official' one which will have an office stamp, etc.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...20Document.pdf
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Ok thats great thank you, i was just wondering as they have not sent me a letter as they did last time i was on EDL PIP it was automatically added

i was also due a payment today and was going to see if my money went up but they have not paid me, so im on phone now with them to see whats going on.

will update later and let you know after they have answered the phone and i will ask for that IS10 form

cheers Nukecad you've been a great help.

EDIT:
    just been on phone and the lady filled in that is10 form for me and the esa payment has been sent, so should be in my bank today.
    Last edited by deandeandean; 06-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Even better if she filled it in over the phone, no waiting for the post to go back and forward.

A bit surprising that she said it would be paid today?
    They usually run it past a DM first, to check that you do indeed have PIP, and to work out the backpay.
    Maybe she was just saying that your normal ESA payment had been sent today?

(I would expect that if they do make a SDP payment today it will just be 2 weeks SDP, and not the full backpay yet).

Yes it was just my ESA as they didn't pay me, but the back dated SDP top up will be back dated from 8 april and will be in my bank by wednesday

thanks again Nukecad

Hi nukecad Dean here again,

i got a response from the dwp about the backdated / underpayment esa from 2013
    i will attach a picture of the letter,

Attachment 2166

i dont know if the image has uploaded,
    so basically what it says is:

thank you for the information we asked for regarding our review of your entitlement to income-related ESA (ESA(IR)

what this means
    we have reviewed your benefit and having looked at the information you gave us, you are not entitled to ESA IR from 21/09/2013 to 19/09/2014

Why you are not due ESA IR
    your contributory based ESA was more than anyincome-related ESA that you were entitled to

thats it... should i ring them or what? as that is when i first got put on ESA in 2013 from incapacity benefit but they did not give me the same amount of money i was getting on IB probably about £10 less
    basically it says im not intitled, but they under paid me as i did not get the same amount of incapasity benifit on esa
    as stated previously they paid me about 100 ew but when i was on incapacity before 2013 i was getting 112 each week

I'll look forward to hearing from you.
    thank you Dean

Hi again Dean,

That would confirm what I said back in post #9:

Taking all the above into consideration it does look that you have been paid the correct Disability Premuims that you were due at the time you were on PIP.
    So there will be no backpay to come from those.

However it does look as if for some reason the Transitional Addition was not paid.
    And that is what the letter is confirming - no backpayment of Disability Premuims is due (because you've already been paid more than any premiums would have paid).

The letter is badly worded, but that's the DWP for you they are very poor at explaining things in their letters.
    (PS. I can't see that attachment yet, it's a moderation thing here, it may become visible in a few days).

So that left the question about the Transitional Addition.

From the wording you quote:
    Why you are not due ESA IR
    your contributory based ESA was more than anyincome-related ESA that you were entitled to
    That says to me that they have looked at the Transitional Addition, and it's the Transitional Addition which was added to your CB ESA that gave you more than any IR ESA premiums due would have done if you didn't have a TA.

To put it more simply they are saying that:
    • You had a TA with your CB ESA.
    • That TA was higher than any IR premium that would have been due.
    • If they had paid any IR disability premium then it would just have been taken off the TA amount, leaving you with the same money as you have already been paid.
    • So there is nothing to backpay, you've already been paid what you were entitled to at the time.

As I say the letters are poorly written, if you want to then you could ring them and ask for a a copy of their full calculations.
    That may set things out more clearly for you.

Ok thank you for clearing that up. i will call them when i have time and ask for the copy of their full calculations

thank you again
    have a nice day