Thread: Will my UC Housing Element go up after being awarded PIP Daily Living? I'm under 35

Question Will my UC Housing Element go up after being awarded PIP Daily Living? I'm under 35

Hi, I can't find any answers to this elsewhere.

Because I am under 35 I only get Universal Credit Housing at the shared rate but now I have been awarded PIP Daily Living which I think used to make you exempt from the shared rate. Anyone know? Thanks!

The rate of UC Housing Element is paid according to the LHA rates for your area.

If you are under 35 the this is normally the shared rate, even if you dont share your home with others.

If you are under 35 and have PIP DL then you can get the 1 bedroom self-contained rate. (Unless someone gets Carers Allowance or UC carerers element for looking after you).
    This applies even if you are living in shared accomodation.

See "When you won't get the shared accomodation rate" and "If you have a Disability" here:
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...shared_housing

I'd put a note on 'payments' section of your Journal that you have been awarded PIP and so should now be being paid the 1 bedroom rate of Housing Element.
    (You may want to follow that with a phone call drawing their attention to it).

As an aside, something interesting I noticed on that shelter page.
    If you are over 35 then the UC housing element for someone sharing is the 1 bedroom rate, it's only the shared rate under Housing Benefit.
    One example of where UC can be more generous than old benefits.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.