Thread: difference between light-touch review and random review - ESA

difference between light-touch review and random review - ESA

hi all - I transferred to ESA 6 years ago with a recommended 2 year review- I know there was that huge delay in reassessments but not had a form since. However around 2 years ago I got a call from DWP- I'm not sure whether it was a "light-touch review" or one of their random quality check reviews? Are there any differences between them?

I'm not sure just what the phone call was but I doubt that it was a 'light touch review', there is not realy such a thing in ESA.
    (It's a term used in PIP awards).

There are "severe condition" awards that mean no future ESA reassessments unless you report a change of circumstances, but you get that awarded following a (re)assessment.
    Since 29 September 2017, some Employment Support Allowance and Universal Credit claimants with the most severe health conditions and disabilities have been exempt from future reassessments. Claimants meet the “severe conditions criteria” if they have been assessed as having a “limited capability for work-related activity”; have a severe, lifelong disability, illness or health condition; and are unlikely to ever be able to move into work.
    Ther are also 'paper based' assessments where you don't see anyone face to face.
    These may involve a phone call, but if that was the case here then you would have got a new decision letter following the call.

As to why they may have not reassessed you yet who can tell?
    The DM at the time may have given you a longer period that the recommended 2 years. (That's only a recomendation from the assessor, the DM can give a different length).
    They may have deferred reassessment. (They deferred all reassessments for 2 years between 2014 and 2016).
    Or they could just be backlogged and not got around to you yet.

This is their current internal guidance on how to determine the date of your next WCA:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

If you want to check then you could phone them and ask for your 'Prognosis Date'.
    That is the date when you are due to be reassessed, they usually send an ESA50 two months before that date.
    Note that not all DWP phone jockeys know where to find it on your file, if you are unlucky and get a numpty who can't find it then you could try ringing again later.
    Just ringing and asking will not change the date, the phone jockey can read it but can't change it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

thanks Nukecad- was probably one of those "picked at random" assessments to make sure you're receiving correct payment- I'm probably caught up in a backlog somewhere- although since my transfer to ESA I also got DLA- I wasn't in receipt of that at time of transfer- but told lady I was now receiving it during that call- maybe that did something? I'll wait till I hear from them- am waiting for outcome of transfer to PIP so my mind is more on that at the moment

hmm - have read of some instances where ESA reviews appeared to be late and when the person rang to check it seems their file had been looked at and date of next review lengthened- and the claimant hadn't been told- appears to have happened to a few people. Is it right that the "right payment" random review involves being sent a form- if so that means the mystery phonecall wasn't one of those then. I remember ringing the DWP when the 2 year delay was in place and was told that my review date hadn't been changed and to expect a form later that year- but that never happened. Has anyone else had a phonecall but no form sent re ESA review?

Are you Support Group?

They sometimes ring those in SG with long prognosis dates, just to 'keep in touch' and check that nothing has changed. (Make sure you've not snuffed it yet?).

yes I'm in SG- good to know that info-thanks.

I believe that it's so they can't be accused of "Abandoning those with disabilities".

Just lets them put a tick in a box and then "abandon" you for another few years.

It's their own fault for coming up with the name Support Group in the first place to suggest that you actually got some suppport.
    The law has always called it LCWRA.
    The DWP have abandoned that pretence of "support" with UC and now use the correct legal term.