Thread: New Style ESA - Contributionary

New Style ESA - Contributionary

On 14th May my husband had a meeting at the Job Centre to make an application for Contributionary New Style ESA. He did everything as requested, the basic form was filled in, ID verified, 13 week Sick note provided, Job Committments completed (all ticked as does not apply). The job Centre said he would hear with an ESA50 to be filled in.

We haven't heard a thing - from anyone.
    Is this normal? It has only been just over 4 weeks.

Should we chase this up & if so with whom?

Hi I'd wait 6 to 8 weeks

Figures published just this morning show that currently (well last December) for a First Time ESA assessment it is taking on average:

1 week for the DWP to refer you to the assessors.
    9 weeks for the assessor to send out an ESA50, the claimant to return it, the assessment to be done, and the report sent to the DWP.
    2 weeks for the DWP to make the decision.

13 weeks overall.

See page 11 of this:
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...-june-2019.pdf

Of course those are averages for a first time claim.
    (Reassessments typically take longer).

If you are getting worried then your husband could ring CHDA (the assessors) on 0800 288 8777 to see if they have in fact got the referral from the DWP.
    They'll ask for his name, address, and NI number.
    Here's their contact webpage: https://www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us

If they say that they haven't received a referral then ring the DWP to ask why not.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-13-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you both for your replies. I think we'll give it until next week & then start chasing. I appreciate having the contact numbers as the Jobcentre left us with no paperwork except for a copy of the committment which my husband had to sign.

Just a brief update in case it is of some use to anyone -

We have now received the ESA50.
    The timeline was -
    8/5 - made appointment with Job Centre
    14/5 - Had appointment with Job Centre including client committment, giving in medical form etc.
    19/6 - Received ESA50 from the Health Assessment Advisory Service (London) to be returned by 18/7
    19/6 - Money received in bank which is described as ESA. We can't get the amount to correlate to any combination of the weekly amount but hey they paid him. Hubby has received no paperwork regarding this payment.

Interestingly we received no notification from the DWP that my husband was eligible for contributionary ESA - we are assuming he must be or they wouldn't have paid him at all.
    The job centre said that he would be declined & not to bother applying as hubby had been self-employed, despite him paying the correct stamp & the information online stating he had paid the correct NI contributions to receive ESA.

Good thing we didn't listen to the job centre.

Now all we have to do is fill in the ESA50, get it back in good time and wait for the assessment.

Thanks for the replies I received. It is very disconcerting to be left in a void of information without any paperwork or even confirmation that hubby was eligible.

The amount paid is probably including a part week payment for so many days, which is why it won't match a weekly amount.
    (I note that the 8th May when he applied was a Wednesday, but the claim date will usually go from the date of the first Fit-note he provided).

If this is a claim for the both of you as a couple then it will be CB ESA with an IR ESA addition for the couple's part, but it's all made as one payment.
    (It's actually a little bit more complicated than that, but that's the best way to describe it and it doesn't make any difference to the payments).
    If you don't qualify for IR ESA (Savings over £16k, or yourself working more than 24 hours) then it will just be a single persons CB ESA claim.

You should get a letter soon about all that and what the payment was, but it's not unusual for money to hit the bank before you get the letter.

He is now treated as having Limited Capability for Work and paid at the 'assessment' rate (actually the Personal Allowance) until he has had a Work Capability Assessment and the DWP make a decision on the claim.

That decision could be one of 3:
    • Fit for Work. (ESA not awarded, he'll have to claim 'New Style' CB JSA (and/or UC) instead and look for work).
    • Limited Capability for Work. (Esa awarded in the Work Related Activities Group (WRAG), may have to do some activities but can't be made to apply for or take up work).
    • Limited Capability for Work. (Esa awarded in the Support Group, extra money, no activities required).

Any extra money if he is awarded Support Group will be paid as from the start of week 14 of the claim.
    If it's gone past week 14 before he gets the decision (happens often) then the extra will be backpaid to the start of week 14.

Good thing we didn't listen to the job centre.
    If I had a pound for everytime I heard that I wouldn't need to claim ESA.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-19-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.