Thread: Leaner Driver im confused

Leaner Driver im confused

Hi, im hoping someone can give me an answer to this before i phone mobility.
    I am the named driver on my sons mobility car he has a brother who is 21 but hasnt passed his test yet ive heard somewhere that maybe he can use the mobility car on L plates to get him through his test so he can take over most off the driving around for his brother to take some pressure off me as my health isnt the best at the moment.
    Any help on this would be really appreciated,
    Thank you

We looked at a similar question recently.

You are allowed to have one learner driver as a 'named' driver for Motability as a 'secondary' driver the learner must be over 21.
    Obviously they must be accompanied by a qualified driver the same as with any other vehicle.
    As he's 21 then the under 25 rules regarding engine size, insurance class, etc., would also apply.

These further links to motabality pages give more details:
    https://www.motability.co.uk/informa...ed-car-drivers
    https://www.motability.co.uk/informa.../young-drivers
    https://www.motability.co.uk/contact...-on-the-scheme
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you both very much for your replies

Just rang mobility and im even more confused now what they said was only the mobility customer can drive the car on L plates which is never going to happen due to his disabilites even though i am the main driver for my son it seems his brother can not drive with me sitting next to him, does anyone please know if this is correct? .
    And the car is for drivers under 25 so the engine size rule doesnt come into it, Thank you

It would seem that whoever you spoke to does not know their own rules.

Try again, ask to speak to a supervisor and refer them to their own webpages if necessary.

The first one I linked to above clearly states that you don't have to be the Mobility customer:
    https://www.motability.co.uk/contact...-on-the-scheme
    If you are the customer there are no restrictions to you joining the scheme with a provisional licence, although you will have to meet all other acceptance criteria. Providing you are shown as a Motability permitted driver on the Certificate of Motor Insurance and you are accompanied by your nominated driver who is over 21 and has held their licence for at least three years you can learn to drive in the car .

For all other drivers, certain restrictions do apply regarding provisional licence holders e.g. you must be aged 21 or over, in addition to meeting all other acceptance criteria. For further details of these please contact RSA Motability and check out the Scheme's policies on who can drive your car .
    The second one also clearly states that 'Other drivers' can drive the car with a provisonal licence:
    https://www.motability.co.uk/informa.../young-drivers
    Any other drivers with provisional licences must be over 21 if you want them to drive your car, and you can only have one learner driver on your Certificate of Motor Insurance at any one time.

Thank you so much nukecad ive just got off the phone to them and the person i spoke to this morning was completely wrong my son can go on the car as a learner im so happy you replied to me as i was just going to leave it, THANK YOU

A general rule when talking to the DWP on the phone. (and it seems Motability) .

If at first you don't succeed .... - It's probably because the person you are talking to had poor training and is clueless.