Thread: Means tested/non means tested benefits

Means tested/non means tested benefits

I'm getting close to retirement age and "currently" in support group and was wondering what will happen in the future to my benefits, particularly how means tested/non means tested benefits affect what happens. I finally got a reply from them but as always they dont explain "why" you get certain things even though I asked.

I'm now more confused than I was before so here it is exactly as it was written.

ESA Contribution based:

Personal allowance: £73.10 (single rate)
    Additional group component: £38.55 (Support Group)

Total £111.65 - not means tested

ESA Income Related based:

Personal allowance: £114.85 (couple rate)
    Additional group component: £38.55 (Support Group)
    Premiums: £60.95 (£36.85 Carers Premium + £24.10 couple Enhanced Disability Premium)

Total £214.35 per week - means tested

Minus

£66.15 Carers Allowance
    £23.27 Occupational Pension income

Total per week £124.93 made up of £111.65 ESA C and £13.28 ESA IR

So it looks like I'm both means and non means tested for the same benefits ! does any of this make sense ?

Yes it does, it's their letters which are badly written that don't make sense.

You are on both CB ESA and IR ESA, many people are.

Let's see if I can make it clearer.

The first, CB, figures are what you qualify for in your own personal right as CB ESA. (Without any couples rate or premiums).
    Those are your right even if you have large savings, other income, or if you partner starts working.

Then you also qualify for IR ESA at the rates given. (With the couples rates and premiums).

Now the bit that they don't say there (or on any of these stupid letters) -
    The CB ESA counts as income for, and so reduces, the IR ESA.
    So they take the CB amount away from the IR amount, and then pay both CB and IR together as one payment.
    So that would be: £214.35(IR ESA) - £111.65(CB ESA) = £102.27 (IR ESA)
    Then £102.27 (IR ESA) + £111.65(CB ESA) = £214.35 (Combined CB/IR ESA).

You can sort of see why they don't put it on the letters, it's gone round in a circle and your actual amount ends up the same money anyway.

Back to the bit they do say:
    Then they take off your other income, the income from the CA and the Pension - but they can only take that from the IR part of the ESA.

So your personal CB ESA amount is £111.65, that cannot be affected by other income. (Not strictly correct, but I'm explaining their letter).

The IR ESA is affected/reduced by other income so it's £214.35 - £111.65(CB ESA) - £66.15(CA) - £23.27(OP) = £13.28

Both of those get paid together: £111.65 (CB ESA) + £13.28 (IR ESA) = £124.93 weekly payment of combined CB/IR ESA.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

PS. As for the wider implied question there.
    ESA is a 'Working Age' benefit, it stops when you reach State Pension Age.
    What happens then depends on if your partner is also above SPA, or if you will become a 'Mixed Age' couple.
    If you will become a Mixed Age couple then new laws apply as from a couple of months ago and it's pretty complicated just what you will be able to claim.
    You are probably best seeing a local welfare advisor, Age UK may be the best in that situation:
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-17-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad, so they give with one hand then take it away with the other then sprinkle a little pixie dust just to confuse you a bit more, I'm guessing it ends up being the worst of both worlds to suit their purposes, the worst aspects of means tested alongside the worst of non means tested. DWP= Devious W.......I'd better stop there eh.

It's actually just the same as it works with UC and CB ESA, but with UC being a separate benefit it's easier to see it.

ie. Your CB ESA is still deducted from your (IR) UC, but then they are each paid separately so it's easy to see which is which.

It's only because the CB ESA and IR ESA are both paid in same payment that you can't easily see the difference.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.