Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dla stopped but no pip form sent !

Dla stopped but no pip form sent !

Some advice please.
    My grandson is Autistic and receives DLA. When he was a few months short of his 16th Birthday my daughter got a letter from DWP indicating when he turned 16 yrs old that he would have to apply for PIP but when due they would send a PIP form to apply.
    However,without warning as soon as he reached 16 years old his DLA was stopped and she still hasn`t received her application form for PIP.

I understand that when the PIP process is active DLA would continue to be paid until decision on PIP made.

The governments online guidance says that the letter will be sent "shortly after their 16th birthday".
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-living...child-turns-16

It also says: "If they apply by the date given in the letter, they’ll continue to receive DLA until their claim is assessed."
    But: "Your child’s DLA payments will stop unless they apply for PIP by the date given in the letter."

Is it possible that they sent a letter that was never received?

I would call the PIP new claims number: 0800 917 2222 and explain what has happened, and see what their excuse is.
    And of course, ask for DLA to be put back into payment.

(In case you need it the DLA helpline number is: 0800 121 4600)
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi nukecad;
    I`ll get my daughter to ring DWP thanks for telephone numbers. No idea about missing letter,however what has happened is on his 16th Birthday they stopped Dla without informing her,and the Pip application form was not sent.
    Common sense dictates that DLA should not have stopped on his 16th birthday as even if they had sent PIP form it does not allow any time for the applicant to complete PiP form and return.

Quote Originally Posted by ray2 View Post
    Common sense dictates that ....
    Ah, but we have to deal with common DWP non-sense.

Aah Common sense.

Here revealed is what DWP did.
    On his 16 birthday they stopped Dla as you will remember for an Autistic child without notification.Prior to that DWP had written to my daughter indicating as he was approaching 16 years they required clarification regarding my daughter having responsibility for her son/power over his affairs as he had reached the 16yr old threshold as a child.They asked her to sign a form relating to this matter which she duly returned. DWP didn`t recognise that form had been returned which required further action from them,as apparently they need to visit and go through a process.
    How they accomplish that I have no idea as part of my grandson`s illness is acute anxiety if he is asked to meet a new person and if he did is simply non communicative and won`t interact with them.He is well known to CAMHS and doesn`t interact with them.
    After discussion with DWP all this unravelled and they agreed to reinstate DLA until 10th July to give time to apply for PIP.
    My daughter also never received a letter inviting her to apply for PIP.
    I`ve told her to contact PIP now and activate that process which will bring a fresh set of problems if as likely he is invited in for a face to face assessment.

I don`t think my daughter should be required to jeopardise her son`s health by telling him he needs to go and be assessed.
    Of course I will arrange with my daughter to contact CAMHS and get a letter from them outlining her sons condition to send with the PIP Form when she eventually receives one.
    Any thoughts about what DWP has done already or what my daughter needs to do now?
    Ta
    For whatever reason this

Quote Originally Posted by ray2 View Post
    Any thoughts about what DWP has done already or what my daughter needs to do now?
    Obviously, the responsibility/appointee/responsible adult thing and the "missing" letter has caused them to mess things up.

Good to hear that the DLA has been reinstated.

But TBH I would have thought that it should now be their responsibility to arrange the transfer from DLA to PIP, not your daughters to chase it up by making a new PIP claim for him.
    Maybe they will now action that?
    However, as we well know you often have to take matters into your own hands to get them to do what they should be doing.

You might advise her to get a local welfare organisation to help her, you/she can find one here: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

As far as attending an assessment, or not, is concerned you may find this about the Equalities Act helpful:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post163586
    It's mainly about getting a home assessment, but if you scroll down you'll see it should also apply to a paper only assessment.

Hi Nukecad;

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

DWP have abrogated responsibility for all of this and will not help with the transfer from DLA to PIP and it was not easy to persuade them to reinstate DLA which they shouldn`t have stopped in the first place.!
    I will check out these links you posted.

My daughter will get help from CAMHS to complete the claims form for PIP and I`m sure will include reasons her son would be unable to attend a face to face assessment.

There is an issue which I don`t understand.
    My daughter currently is unable to apply for PIP on her son`s behalf.This can only happen when she is made appointee.
    However,DWP are going to interview my daughter alone as I understand it and presumably on completion of process make her appointee.

Does it make sense to do that and yet not allow her to apply for PIP?

I think the timescale will be tight as my daughter has to get a visit from DWP who need to process the appointee documentation and notify my daughter before 10th July 2019.
    My daughter is also on holiday next week.

Those difficulties have been caused by DWP not arranging the transfer from DLA to PIP,and not responding to my daughter`s letter by arranging the appointee interview shortly after my grandson`s 16th birthday.

Hi Nukecad

Just correction to last post.
    DWP insist on see my grandson in relation to appointee interview.
    Not sure what this can achieve and certain to bring on severe anxiety and he won`t interact/communicate !!

I'm not familiar with the appointee process, but can see how an appointee could be needed when a disabled child becomes a disabled 'adult' (in the eyes of the DWP at least).

As an adult they are expected to manage their own benefit affairs, until/unless there is an appointee in place.
    Which as you are finding could be a problem if a change from DLA to PIP is needed at one and the same time.

Ideally she should have applied to become his appointee before he turned 16 so that it was in place seamlessly as soon as he turned 16, but that's water under the bridge now.

The most common way of becoming appointee is by telling the Disability and Carers Service that you want to become appointee when the young person is approaching 16.
    https://www.autism.org.uk/about/bene...ng-people.aspx
    That guide from NAS says that they should visit the potential appointee at their home.
    It also says:
    If you feel that it is not possible for the young person to meet the visiting officer, you should explain this to the visiting officer when they contact you to arrange the visit. The only purpose of the visit is to consider making you the appointee.
    I would have thought that CAMHS must have seen this many times as a child reaches 16, so they should know how it's all supposed to work and may be the best to advise your daughter.

Hi Nukecad;
    Thanks again for input.
    My daughter did apply to be his appointee before he was 16.The problem is that DWP did not action that application for appointee,and only actioned after he was 16 years.
    The only reason they are now actioning is that when my daughter phoned them to find out why her DLA stopped they discovered that application for appointee.