Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP Mandatory Reconsideration. Do I make my own points suggestions or not?

Thanks for this. Brought up the two organisations I saw from Turn2Us. One of them is AGE UK. Is there an age limit for them dealing with requests for information? I mean do you have to be a pensioner? I'm not a million miles away, more's the pity, but I won't be there for a couple of years yet.

AgeUK will help you, you don't have to be a pensioner, just 'older' (whatever 'older' actually means). It's AgeUK, not PensionersUK.

TBH I don't think they'd turn away 'younger' people either, but would a younger person think about going to them?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you very much. The other organisation that might have been useful is based on an industrial estate inaccessible by public transport. Nearest AgeUK is around 25 miles away but accessible by train and then bus. I've emailed them without going into any detail at this stage and I'll take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by scotleag View Post
    The other organisation that might have been useful is based on an industrial estate inaccessible by public transport.
    That seems odd, unless they only work online?

Telephone, email, Skype, downloadable information "or, in some cases, home visits and support at meetings."

Mmm, are they charging for help as well?

There is a well known scam going on at the monent where people offer to 'help you claim UC'.

They make a claim for UC using your details, get an advance payment and run off with it.
    (There are variations where they give you something but keep the rest for themselves).

Leaving you with no benefits and a big mess to sort out.

Despite being made well aware of this scam the DWP/government are not taking any action.

I don't think so. There's a 'donate' button on their homepage but nothing else about charging. Over two decades old by the sound of it. One if six groups for the disabled listed on the local council website which describes them as "a user led, disabled peoples’ organisation. They provide a range of services to empower, assist and facilitate independent living and when necessary, act as a representative voice for disabled people, their families and carers. They challenge discrimination and inequalities and promote examples of good practice for others to follow."

They seem bona fide

Spoke with AgeUK today who said they can't help with MR or appeal as they hadn't been involved in helping with the initial application. Though I did have an informal chat with one of their people who basically said just carry on along the lines I was already doing.

Quote Originally Posted by scotleag View Post
    they can't help with MR or appeal as they hadn't been involved in helping with the initial application.
    Seems a bit odd, but I guess that they are as busy as all the other welfare organisations so have to have some kind of policy in place.

Plus I suppose that unless they have helped from the start, then who knows what the claimant may have put on their application and questionnaire?

I imagine they have to stretch resources as best as they can. Still, they seemed to think I was taking the right approach to it. I've now spoken to the DWP and said I was asking for a mandatory reconsideration. I'll send it off registered. They've told me average response time is now ten weeks as opposed to six weeks to make an initial decision after assessment (though mine took only two weeks) and my DLA ends on July 23rd regardless. The cynic in me assumes that the longer they take the more they hope to dissuade people from continuing the process. When I appealed (successfully) against HMRC even my wife said "I think you're wasting your time. You can't beat these people" That took seven months from start to finish. If reconsideration takes ten weeks and say another week to reach me then we're taking end of September before I can even begin launch an appeal. That would already be five months since the start of the process so God knows how long this is going to take.

That said, all I've got to lose is the price of postage so I'm in for the long haul.