Thread: disabled parking

disabled parking

Hi all just looking for some advice because its really starting to get to me and my wife

basically my wife is only 24 and is disabled cant walk and she has a disabled badge for it now the real problem is when we use it the amount of abuse off old people (like to point out its not all old people just a selected few;-)) we get

how can you have a blue badge your young you shouldn't have one
    you shouldn't be using someone else badge you know
    what the f is wrong with you to have one of them
    one guy even went to security and reported us for using someones else badge at tesco

they is more but i have only said the more "nice" ones

its got to a point that now she doesn't want to go out or want me to park in a normal bay which is really hard as i need room for her wheelchair.

I've kept my cool because i know she doesn't like me confronting anyone about this

i just don't know what to do anymore

why do people need to have a go because "were young"

any advice as to what i should do would be great

Surely people know the reason why when they see the wheelchair.
    In my opinion it is just best to ignore them, these folk have nothing better to do and not worth using your energy trying to explain or arguing with them.

Just do what the majority of people do to us wheelchair users; pretend they're not there and totally 'blank' them.

Eventually, you will both develop a 'hard skin' toward such people.

I’ve got a blue badge with a hidden condition(MS)
    Just try and ignore the moaners or do what I do and tell them to try and live in my body for a week and see how they would feel

Oh gosh!!!
    Massive sympathy from me. I’ve had a BB since my 20s.
    I am now early 40s and in the past few years have had more hassle than ever!
    I now have a home made placard that I hang from my interior mirror when I park.
    It has a large disabled symbol and in huge writing says:

Young person and disabled?
    Really?
    YES!
    (I use a wheelchair).

I have had fingers wagged, been stared at tutted at, far worse which I’m not prepared to write here.
    I’ve had old men come up to the car and one right up to the windscreen and say “Neigh disabled”.
    I firmly and politely told him exactly why I was parked in a disabled space.
    They NEVER apologise!
    They won’t even wait for me to get out the car!

The only advice I can give is probably what you are already doing. Keep cool and calm. People are so quick to judge me and the look on their faces changes when they see my chair but they usually don’t stick around long enough for that!
    I find if someone is defensive and starts getting annoyed then I ignore them. If they come up to me then I speak to them firmly but politely although that isn’t always easy.

I must admit I have looked at other people using BBs and sometimes wonder why they have them but I try not to show it. A while back I saw a wheelchair user park next to me but didn’t want to stare so looked away as I got out my car. The other chair user did the same. Finally I looked round to realise it was one of my friends and we had actually been deliberately ignoring one an other in the name of not being rude! We laughed about it for weeks!

Rasy
    Last edited by RaspberryRipple; 06-25-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Dyslexia means there will be some errors in grammar and spelling. Apologies.

Red face Disabled abuse

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    Oh gosh!!!
    Massive sympathy from me. I’ve had a BB since my 20s.
    I am now early 40s and in the past few years have had more hassle than ever!
    I now have a home made placard that I hang from my interior mirror when I park.
    It has a large disabled symbol and in huge writing says:

Young person and disabled?
    Really?
    YES!
    (I use a wheelchair).

I have had fingers wagged, been stared at tutted at, far worse which I’m not prepared to write here.
    I’ve had old men come up to the car and one right up to the windscreen and say “Neigh disabled”.
    I firmly and politely told him exactly why I was parked in a disabled space.
    They NEVER apologise!
    They won’t even wait for me to get out the car!

The only advice I can give is probably what you are already doing. Keep cool and calm. People are so quick to judge me and the look on their faces changes when they see my chair but they usually don’t stick around long enough for that!
    I find if someone is defensive and starts getting annoyed then I ignore them. If they come up to me then I speak to them firmly but politely although that isn’t always easy.

I must admit I have looked at other people using BBs and sometimes wonder why they have them but I try not to show it. A while back I saw a wheelchair user park next to me but didn’t want to stare so looked away as I got out my car. The other chair user did the same. Finally I looked round to realise it was one of my friends and we had actually been deliberately ignoring one an other in the name of not being rude! We laughed about it for weeks!

Rasy
    My husband is very disabled and now looks it. He has MS. When he was younger we got all the comments that you can’t be disabled if you are young. Now it is just abuse. One man, who was illegally using his wife’s badge, said why did he need a badge if he had a wheelchair. Having a wheelchair means he is better off than someone able bodied. My daughter had to stop an elderly lady from hitting him with her umbrella. So you see you can never please some people. Park in disabled parking and ignore them, we do. ????

Hi Bonayn,
    Gosh I am really sorry to read of the trouble that you and your poor wife are having. It is hard enough without that aggro.

I can only reinforce the advice that other people have said. One needs to develop a thick skin and learn to ignore the ignorant critics. If I may say this on this polite board ...... F### ‘em !

Also , you admit that these people are in a minority. Try to remember the nice ones who do make way for the wheelchair.it is my belief that there are a lot more nice people in this world than the other sort.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ShufflingDan View Post
    Also , you admit that these people are in a minority. Try to remember the nice ones who do make way for the wheelchair.it is my belief that there are a lot more nice people in this world than the other sort.

All the best.
    Excellent advice. It’s very true that most people are absolutely ok, indeed it’s the minority that cause the problem.
    An old man came storming up to my car earlier this week, read my sign: “Young person and disabled? YES, I’m in a wheelchair” sign and hastily retreated to his own car.
    I shouldn’t have to justify my blue badge but my homemade sign has been a great reassurance and sense of empowerment for me.