Thread: Motability car and change of circumstances

Question Motability car and change of circumstances

So I have a DFW WAV and live alone and am unable to work except a few hours of voluntary work which is a real struggle as I’ve been quite ill lately so have had a lot of absences.
    Currently waiting for a diagnosis of possible Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia which is secondary to my other severe disabilities.
    My current living situation is dangerous as I can no longer look after myself or my home which is a council house for people with disabilities it’s not entirely suitable for my powerchair and I have to go backwards out of each room most of the time! I’m thinking that I will live in a residential type situation in the future where I have people and help around me.

My question relates to keeping the HRM of DLA. Do you loose this when going into a care home? I’ve had some people telling me yes and some say no.
    Surely if you can make use of either a car (even if you need someone else to drive you) or public transport then this would be a good thing?
    I’m worried I’d have to give up my car but with no HRM then I couldn’t afford it anyway.

I’d be delighted if anyone has any thoughts or experience on this.

Rasy.

Interesting question.

You can have a Motability car in Residential Care, as long as you are still getting DLA/PIP Mobility.
    https://www.motability.co.uk/contact...sidential-care

DLA/PIP Daily Living stops after you have been in Residential Care for 28 days, but DLA/PIP Mobility can continue.

Benefits that can continue in Residential Care:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...e-in-a-care-ho
    Benefits that will stop in Residential Care:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...-live-in-a-car

So you would need to keep your DLA/PIP claim going for the Mobility only in order to keep the Motability car.

Don't forget that a parking space at the Residential Home may be another problem.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-25-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks so much for your reply.
    I will have a look at the links as well.
    From what I have read elsewhere there seems to be discrepancy between a care home and a nursing home.
    I know someone in a care home that has a full time nurse that gets HRM.
    I was led to believe you can lose HRM if there are nurses working full time does it then become a nursing home? - seems ridiculous if you are severely disabled but can drive.
    Am I right to still be confused?

The person you spoke of lives in a Care Home, if you move into a Care Home you can continue with your claim for HRM which in turn affords you a car.

If on the other hand you move into a Nursing Home your HRM will be taken away.

Hope everything work out well for you

There can be confusion between Sheltered Housing, Supported Housing, Residential Care, etc.

Mainly because people just call all these schemes "Care Homes" without further differentiating between what are very different circumstances.

It comes down to the level of care/nursing being provided.

Sheltered Housing will typically have alarm pulls etc. maybe with a warden, and maybe nursing staff, on site.
    But those are there for emergencies, falls, etc. You are still independent, living in your own flat, cooking your own meals, etc. and so can still claim DLA/PIP Daily Living.

Supported Housing is a bit trickier, it would all depend on the amount of support that you were getting.
    You may or may not be cooking your own meals, and may not need daily care to help with other tasks. So DLA/PIP Daily Living may still be payable.

Residential Care will typically be your own room (or maybe even shared) in a larger institution.
    You won't be cooking your own meals and will be getting daily care with other tasks from on site staff. As someone is caring for you then DLA/PIP Daily Living will not be payable.

Basically, DLA/PIP Daily Living is extra money to help you care for yourself independently, if someone else is caring for you then it is not payable.
    (Which is why you have to be classed as 'living alone' to qualify).

PIP spells it out - Personal INDEPENDENCE Payment.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks so much for the replies. It’s going to be a minefield trying to get alternative accommodation that will suit my needs. I’m feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment but know I can’t carry on living where I am.
    Hoping to be semi independent at least. Many thanks again.