Thread: Best Mid Wheel Drive Wheelchair Help

Best Mid Wheel Drive Wheelchair Help

Hi, All.
    I am in the process of searching for a MWD wheelchair for my father in law he is 16st there is a lot of choice out there and I do not want to buy the wrong thing, any help with choosing the right one would be appreciated, it will be used mostly in the house and garden.

MWD chairs are hopeless - it's far too easy to get 'hung' when crossing terrain with holes or dips. They have only one positive point and that's the smaller turning circle - in every other respect they're a right PITA.

I'm almost sixteen stone and I use a FWD Puma 40 Gyro - it's great indoors and out. The non-pneumatic tyres are best for indoor use as they tend not to ruffle carpets or squeal on hard flooring as much, but they are too hard and give a rough ride outdoors.

Thank you. A Puma it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavmar View Post
    Thank you. A Puma it is then.
    I bought all three of mine from Ebay; the first (£2,000.00) is an older model without a gyro - great at low speed, but took months to get used to in order to be able to ride safely over 4mph. I would NOT recommend one of these as they can be dangerously unstable and they'll spin at the drop of a hat if you go too fast. I now keep this as a spare - it's too easy to get a puncture or have a breakdown and I can't manage without a chair even though I can walk a few steps with walking sticks.

The second is one of the early ones with hard tyres - I picked this up for only £500.00, but use it indoors exclusively. The hard tyres make using it outdoors too painful for me.

The third (Gyro version) was £5,000.00, but I got £3,500.00 towards it from the NHS Wheelchair Services. I have to maintain it and replace tyres and batteries myself though.

Before I settled on these, I tried several others. Rear wheel drive ones leave your legs stuck right out in front so you can't easily sit at a table (or at least no one can sit opposite you). Mid wheel ones are as I explained already, but the front wheel drive ones allow me to use a table normally and as it has a riser, I can sit up to the bar in the pub and talk to people at normal eye level.

The new price on the one I have was £11,200. It had only been used for a few months indoors only so it was a bargain. They are out there, but it takes a bit of patience to find one.

I'd recommend getting one with rise and tilt (most have this anyway). Here's a selection on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...chair&_sacat=0

Good luck.

A full-sized power chair can cost a bit more than a manual wheelchair, but the added ease of daily life and comfort with these chairs is worth every penny once you find the right one. Plus, these chairs can open up a new world of possibilities for seniors want to maintain their self-sufficiency. If you are looking for a new full-sized power chair, or are looking to upgrade from a manual chair, we’ve found some of the best options on the market right now for a variety of different needs.
    shareit apk
    Last edited by scottsen11; 08-06-2019 at 09:59 AM.