Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carers Allowance and Appointee

Carers Allowance and Appointee

Hi all

Hope someone can answer my query. I am now retired on ill health grounds and will start to receive an occupational pension and no other forms of income.

My wife is an “Appointee” for our daughter who receives PIP and ESA. My wife also gets Carers Allowance as she provides care for her mother for over 35 hours per week.

Therefore, as I can claim CA for anyone as my occupational pension is not classed as income which I read somewhere, can I claim carers for my daughter without affecting my daughter’s PIP and ESA benefits?

Thanks in advance.

If your daughter currently gets the Severe Disability Premium with her ESA then your (or anyone else) claiming CA for looking after her would stop payment of the SDP with her ESA. (If she lives with you then she may not get SDP anyway).
    It might also affect any Council Tax Reduction she gets.
    PIP would not be affected.
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/...other-benefits

So while you would get £66.15 if you claimed CA, she would lose £65.85 from her ESA if it currently includes SDP.
    (I doubt that would make you a popular dad).

Carers Allowance is a taxable benefit, so you may also want to think about if you would have to pay more tax if you claimed it, which will depend on your pension amount
    Carer’s Allowance is taxable. However, carers will only have to pay tax if they have other sources of taxable income such as occupational or personal pensions or part-time earnings, and if this combined income takes them over the threshold for paying tax.
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-ad...rers-allowance
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi nukecad

Thank you for your simple explanation which I understand and would mean that she will not get the disability premium as I am certain that she gets this with her ESA payment.

It's only the Severe Disability Premium that would be affected if someone claimed CA for looking after her.
    If she has the Enhanced Disability Premium (Disability Income Guarantee on letters) that would not be affected.

So it may be important to check that.
    If you can tell us how much she currently gets for ESA we should be able to say for sure.

Hi nukecad

I’ve just had a look at her ESA entitlement letter and hope you can confirm whether she gets the SDP premium or not.

She gets IR ESA breakdown as follow..

Living Expenses =73.10
    Extra money because of Disability Income Guarantee = 16.80
    Total Income Related Amount = 89.90 per week

Therefore please confirm whether the above has any SDP element.

Thanks

Thanks, that tells me that her ESA claim was made after 4th April 2017 and she is in WRAG, so not being paid a group component.
    (If she started on ESA before that date then there is something wrong).

So she is getting the Personal Allowance £73.10, and the Enhanced Disability Premium £16.80, (because of PIP) but NOT the Severe Disability Premium (because she is not living alone).

That being the case then you claiming CA for caring for her would not affect her ESA payments and she would still get the same.

The tax implication is something for you to think about yourself.

Hi nukecad

Many thanks for this information which is very helpful and much appreciated. Her ESA claim was made some time in June 2017.

She started receiving PIP around March/April 2016 and ESA in June 2017 and since then she has not been sent any ESA review forms - is this normal or is it because her PIP is until March/April 2021?

Many thanks

The assessment dates for ESA and PIP will be different because they are different benefits with different assessments.

When her next ESA assessment will be will depend on when they set her 'Prognosis Date' for.
    If it was a 2 year prognosis then I'd expect an ESA50 form anytime now, but it may have been for longer than 2 years.
    You can ring and ask when her prognosis is due, although not all the phone jockeys can locate it on the file. (Some don't even know what it means).
    Or as she's in WRAG then presumably she visits the Jobcentre so can ask her advisor next time she goes there.

PIP reviews are started 12 months before the PIP end date, so expect that form in March/April 2020.

Nukecad

Thanks for the information. I’ll just wait for the ESA review when it comes.

She doesn’t go to any job centre as when she applied she was already getting PIP and she was in 6th form school and then went to college for further education studies.

We then sent off the ESA questionnaire and they gave her the ESA without even going for a face to face assessment.

Thanks

It could be complicated as usual, but disabled students with DLA/PIP automatically qualified for ESA WRAG without an assessment.

She was lucky that UC hadn't been rolled out in her area at the time.

Now that we are all under UC it's different and a mess, as usual, a disabled student with DLA/PIP can technically claim UC but also has to have a Limited Capability for Work decision.
    And they can't have a WCA under UC to get a LCW decision - because they are not yet claiming UC.
    So unless they already have a LCW decision from somewhere then they can't claim UC.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/unive...abled-students

Note that the advice there about making a Credits Only claim and so being 'treated as having LCW' was later blocked.
    The DWP insisted that to claim UC you had to have LCW, not just be 'treated as' having it.

AFAIK this policy is still in force and disabled students still can't make a new claim for UC.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-03-2019 at 11:06 AM.