Thread: NI credits if you are unable to work

NI credits if you are unable to work

Good Evening folks,

I wonder if I could get some advice please.

My husband had to take early retirement 7 years ago because of ill health. He is in receipt of his work place pension. He is 55 yrs of age.

For the past two years he has been in receipt of PIP both parts enhanced.

It was out of curiosity that we checked on the Gov website about what we would get in our state pensions when we retire at 67 and it turned out that my husband was short. He had accrued 30 full years but had not made any contributions since he retired.

If someone has retired due to ill health and unable to work but not claiming benefits as in looking for work, are they still entitled to NI credits?

I took early retirement to look after him and as my pension is quite low, I am in receipt of Carer's Allowance. I do get NI credits because of this .

This brings me on to New Style ESA, it mentions that you have had to have worked for the past two years (my husband has not) and earned NI contributions. (my husband has not.) If he was entitled to NI credits would he be eligible for New Style ESA as it suggests income is not taken into account?????

I have been trying to phone the tax office but continuously engaged...

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Kind regards.

Idealy he should should have made a 'Credits Only' claim for JSA ot ESA at the time he medically retired.

He may have been supposed to be cedited because of the PIP, I'm not sure.
    From what you say he hasn't been getting them but the DWP are well known for getting that wrong anyway.
    They 'forgot' to add my credits for 6 years until I checked.

He would not be able to now make a claim for CB ESA (old or new) because some of the qualifying contributions have to be paid and not just credits.

But if he should have had the credits for PIP then you can get it corrected and that should then qualify for full pesion.
    Give me a day or so to check things out about the PIP and NI credits.
    (I 'm in the pub so beer is a limiting factor at the moment).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I thought when someone claimed CA they got a NI stamp paid.I might be wrong.

nukecad, thanks for replying and you did well if you've had a beer! I hope it was a good evening.

Hi Barbiejane, thank you for replying. I get CA for looking after my husband and so I do get NI credits. I am wondering whether my husband should be getting NI credits towards his state pension as he is unable to work due to ill health. He gets his occupational pension and PIP. No other income. I get a small occupational pension and CA. We supplement our living expenses with our life savings.

I've double checked and unfortunately PIP on its own does not bring an entitlement to NI credits.

The CA would entitle you as the claimant to NI credits, but not the person you are caring for.

It is possible to pay voluntary NI for previous years to 'top-up' his entitlement to State Pension. (If you can afford it).
    You can backpay voluntary NI for the previous 6 years.
    But you need to be careful not to pay for more top-up than you need, eg. If you only need one extra year there is no point paying for 6.
    They'll gladly take the extra money even though once you meet full pension qualifying any extra NI you pay doesn't improve your pension.
    https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

I would talk to AgeUK about this before considering paying any top ups.
    They are probably the best for advice in this situation and should be able to tell you the minimum you need to pay.
    You can find AgeUK local to you here:
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad for your reply. Will do. Much appreciate your time.