Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carers Allowance Query

Carers Allowance Query

Hi;

Was trying to check the rules on Carers Allowance and remembered the case of my Elderly Mother In Law and Father In Law whom we took in to stay with us as my Mother In Law suffered from Lewy Body Dementia while my father in law had multiple health issues.
    I seemed to remember both had Attendance Allowance and both had Carers Allowance for each other I`m sure.

This would mean a dementia sufferer had Carers Allowance to care for her husband which doesn`t seem appropriate.

Can a recipient of Attendance Allowance or PIP for that matter be a Carer for another disabled person?

Secondly what other benefits could be affected for the recipient of Attendance Allowance/PIP if there was an an application for Carers Allowance made?

Thanks
    Ray

Yes partners can have CA for each looking after the other.

It would depend on why each needs care.

As an example someone who needs a wheelchair could care for the finances/daily interactions of someone who can't handle those, while the the person who cant handle the finance can care for the physical needs of the chair user.

Somebody making a claim for CA could affect both their own benefits and the benefits of the person they claim CA for.
    You would need to give us more specific details before we could say.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Nukecad;

In the circumstance I was considering applying for Carers Allowance for my Autistic Grandson who has just turned 16 years of age and is in receipt of DLA for his mental health condition as he requires 24 hour care.He has been invited to apply for PIP and with the support of CAMHS I am very hopeful of his claim for PIP being successful.
    Unfortunately his illness prevents him from engaging from anyone outside his immediate family.

As his Mum works he is brought to my home Mon-Fri from 8am -5.30 pm and also on Saturday while shopping is done.( Care provided well in excess of the required 35 hours per week)

Would it be possible for me to apply for Carer`s Allowance for him.?
    Also any idea if any other benefits open to him?

Ta Ray

As he is now above working age he could also apply for ESA:
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...what-youll-get

If he claims and is awarded ESA, which it sounds like he should be, then having DLA/PIP can mean extra money on the ESA, (known as the Severe Disability Premium) provided he can be classed as living alone and no-one is claiming Carers allowance for looking after him.
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support

So you might want to wait for the outcome of the PIP assessment, and any ESA assessment if he claims ESA, before considering whether to claim CA.

As you already have CAMHS onboard they are probably the best to discuss this with, they will know his particular circumstances and of course see 16 year olds changing from DLA to PIP all the time so know how best to go about things.

Of course it helps if you know a little bit about what may be possible, like claiming ESA, so that you know what to ask them about.

Hi Nukecad;

Thanks again for info.
    My grandson couldn`t be classed as living alone and in fact can`t be left alone without someone in the house due to his illness.
    I`ll tell my daughter to enquire with CAMHS about ESA along with the application for PIP.

Does this mean as he doesn`t live alone that he won`t get Severe Disability Premium but should get ESA and only after that I should considering applying for CA but there is no impediment in me being a recipient of CA as a recipient of PIP.?

I dont think you would be able to claim OAP and carers allowance

I think Scotty1 is right - the State Pension is more than Carer's Allowance and replaces it when you retire. You may be able to have an underlying entitlement which could give you a Carer premium on Pension Credit if you qualify for that.
    Last edited by noisynoodle; 07-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks for information people.
    Just trying to establish the best way forward for my grandson who lives with his Mum and Stepdad but brought to my house Mon-Friday minimum from early morning till 6.pm to allow them to work..

From what has been said and know my grandson has been invited to apply for PIP which will be done today as my daughter has just been granted appointee status and will make the application on his behalf.
    He is also eligible to apply for ESA but the amount he could be awarded would be affected if anybody receives CA for him.

With regard to myself as OAP I can apply for CA for him as I have State Pension but as overlap between the 2 benefits financially would not be worthwhile.
    If I did I may have an underlying entitlement to a Carer Premium on Pension Credit which I assume is a mean tested benefit.

In short the best thing financially for my grandson is to apply for PIP and ESA but not have anyone claim CA for him.
    For myself I can apply for Carers Allowance but no material gain and would be to the detriment of my Grandson financially which I would not do even if there was material gain for me but there isn`t anyway.

The next step is approach CAMHS for help in submitting PIP and ESA Applications and providing reports on my grandson`s mental health condition to submit with those applications.

Have I picked up on everything properly?
    Ta

That sounds as if you have it mostly right, sorry I'd missed that you had a State Pension which is an overlapping benefit with CA.

But if he can't be 'classed as living alone' then he wouldn't get the SDP with ESA anyway, so someone claiming CA for looking after him would make no difference unless he later became classed as living alone.

It's good that your daughter got the apointeeship in place before the PIP claim had to be made.
    We had another child DLA/PIP thread recently where that was a problem because they'd left it late and both were being done at the same time.

Remember when making the applications that they are not about any conditions per se.
    They are both about how any conditions affect your (his) abilities, not the conditions themselves.
    Medical evidence just backs up what you say about your (his) abilities.
    ESA is all about if you are able to do any work or not.
    PIP is about how you cope with daily living and getting about.
    CAMHS will know that and can help you get them right.

Hi Nukecad;

No worries about the State Pension bit.
    I think my daughter is the same case you were thinking about.In my daughters case they actually stopped DLA without inviting her to apply for PIP and gave no prior warning about stopping DLA. They had written to her previously before his 16th birthday asking if she wished to become appointee with consent from her son.
    She had replied positively to that request but DWP lost her reply and hadn`t completed the necessary house visit to enable my daughter to be appointed.This resulted in DLA being stopped without warning.
    My daughter then contacted DLA who found this out and agreed to reinstate her DLA for 4 weeks to allow time for the appointee visit to be made,and then told her to apply for Pip by the end of the additional 4 week period granted.If the application for Pip is made within the 4 week extension the Dla will automatically continue until a decision is made on Pip.The timescale was very tight as DWP had to arrange that home visit,make that visit and sort the Appointee paperwork all before my daughter could apply for Pip.

My daughter is now able to make an Application for Pip on his behalf and liaise with CAMHS to formulate that application and she will also ask them about applying for Esa.

Cheers Ray