Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally heard DLA to PIP invite.

finally heard DLA to PIP invite.

Knew it was coming and been waiting years for the letter.
    My parents were so worried How I would react they didnt tell me for a few days.
    I am upset but need to hold things together.

Just wonder please if I could ask a few questions?
    Do they use Material from ESA applications? main reason
    knowing this was coming the doctors and consultants updated the letters a few months ago
    also a lot of tests have been redone showing and confirming my illness has gone worst
    and the effects this would have. Like losing all motor function in my legs etc.

a lot of the dressings are no longer covered by the NHS as they are lined with Silver for infection control etc.
    If i add all these invoices into the appliaction form stating the reason why, My DLA is covering the cost of these etc.
    Given the past dealings with them im fully expecting hell on earth.

One thing that does worry me slightly my consultant is furious with them and in the latest letter
    he's basically saying its disgusting someone with this medical condition is being hassled all the time.
    I know how thin skinned they are and wonder would that actually go against me?

many thanks

I had my assessment a month ago and ESA - which I currently receive - was never mentioned. Obviously I can't claim everyone's assessment is the same but to use the same language as ATOS did in their report it's "reasonable to assume" that the (ostensibly at least) different reasons and criteria for being in receipt of ESA means it has no relevance to a PIP application and that it is how you are NOW and your case is decided purely with regard to the PIP assessment criteria.

There are people far more experienced than I am to answer your query about your consultant but it strikes me that the consultant's position should actually have the opposite effect. He/she is an expert in their field and knows far more about your health than any assessment provider and their views SHOULD carry a lot more weight with the DWP than the assessor's.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by scotleag View Post
    I had my assessment a month ago and ESA - which I currently receive - was never mentioned. Obviously I can't claim everyone's assessment is the same but to use the same language as ATOS did in their report it's "reasonable to assume" that the (ostensibly at least) different reasons and criteria for being in receipt of ESA means it has no relevance to a PIP application and that it is how you are NOW and your case is decided purely with regard to the PIP assessment criteria.

There are people far more experienced than I am to answer your query about your consultant but it strikes me that the consultant's position should actually have the opposite effect. He/she is an expert in their field and knows far more about your health than any assessment provider and their views SHOULD carry a lot more weight with the DWP than the assessor's.

Good luck
    thank you for taking the time to reply.
    made the call as stated on the letter yesterday, She kept saying over and over they will make contact with hospital doctor and GP's
    would that be okay. I said its fine 45 minutes later still on the phone by this time I had totally gone slurring then asked why I was like that
    so my mum explained to her that's part of the condition slurred speech and numbdown the right side of my body etc.

then finally she said all the ESA information will be put onto the system and the old DLA information also

The first call is purely admin, taking banking details the names of consultants, checking you have filled criteria for application etc, this is to generate the PIP2 form. The person on the phone was just a call handler. The form will arrive in two weeks approx and the date on the form will be the day you made the call (yesterday)

You should ensure you have copies of all those updated letters from GP and consultants try get them in the next two week, to send copies as evidence with the PIP2 form, do not rely on DWP or Assessors accessing other systems or even making contact with the people named on the forms.

You can call and get a two week extension on filling in the form. PIP is very different to DLA or ESA. So if needs be, seek face to face advice to help you fill out the forms. Always cross reference the evidence in any replies add your name and NI number to every additional page.

https://advicelocal.uk/
    pop postcode in, find advice service Tell them the date of call and they will make appointment and they can make a home visit in some areas.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by AuntyW; 07-10-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Hello Valeyard

I too said yes for the use of all my previous ESA/DLA info to be used in my DLA to PIP transfer. Within a few weeks I received a letter to say they no longer held any of this information.

You may also find as I did, that while I qualified for ESA the descriptors for PIP were a bad 'fit' for the very same disability. I had to go to a tribunal to be awarded just standard care, with no mobility.

I too listed all my monthly costs that were covered by my DLA to show how I would use the PIP payments. Basically they are viewed as irrelevant. Many people have qualified for PIP because of the aids they use, (either purchased or nhs) and have very little extra ongoing disability costs.

It's fitting the descriptors spot on and explaining how you fit these descriptors that matter. Even better if your medical evidence details this too.

Good luck, please come back and let us all know how you are getting on.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello Valeyard

I too said yes for the use of all my previous ESA/DLA info to be used in my DLA to PIP transfer. Within a few weeks I received a letter to say they no longer held any of this information.

You may also find as I did, that while I qualified for ESA the descriptors for PIP were a bad 'fit' for the very same disability. I had to go to a tribunal to be awarded just standard care, with no mobility.

I too listed all my monthly costs that were covered by my DLA to show how I would use the PIP payments. Basically they are viewed as irrelevant. Many people have qualified for PIP because of the aids they use, (either purchased or nhs) and have very little extra ongoing disability costs.

It's fitting the descriptors spot on and explaining how you fit these descriptors that matter. Even better if your medical evidence details this too.

Good luck, please come back and let us all know how you are getting on.
    thank you both so much,
    Thats such helpful information, Some of the appliances I use are under continuing care that the OT and social worker arranged
    would the fact continuing care has been used go against me in this?

thats also very interesting they view the added costs as irrelevant because so much of the products were dropped via the NHS on cost
    are vital and a direct result of my condition.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntyW View Post
    The first call is purely admin, taking banking details the names of consultants, checking you have filled criteria for application etc, this is to generate the PIP2 form. The person on the phone was just a call handler. The form will arrive in two weeks approx and the date on the form will be the day you made the call (yesterday)

You should ensure you have copies of all those updated letters from GP and consultants try get them in the next two week, to send copies as evidence with the PIP2 form, do not rely on DWP or Assessors accessing other systems or even making contact with the people named on the forms.

You can call and get a two week extension on filling in the form. PIP is very different to DLA or ESA. So if needs be, seek face to face advice to help you fill out the forms. Always cross reference the evidence in any replies add your name and NI number to every additional page.

https://advicelocal.uk/
    pop postcode in, find advice service Tell them the date of call and they will make appointment and they can make a home visit in some areas.
    Good luck.
    thank you so much for this information.
    the way she was talking it was like 100% certain they would make contact with the named medical people
    there's been a whole stack of new tests and new letters from the past month all covering the updated information
    on the condition getting worse. It caused a major panic over may bank holiday which triggered the new tests

Quote Originally Posted by valeyard View Post
    thank you so much for this information.
    the way she was talking it was like 100% certain they would make contact with the named medical people
    there's been a whole stack of new tests and new letters from the past month all covering the updated information
    on the condition getting worse. It caused a major panic over may bank holiday which triggered the new tests
    Well done, despite the angst the process causes, keeping on top of things helps.
    Good luck.

Hello Valeyard

List your appliances if you can under the appropriate descriptors.

For example if they are for bathing make sure you explain why you need them for bathing, what any care plan from social services or an OT said (supply a copy for evidence if you can) and what would happen if you did not have them - plus any assistance you need from another person.

Try to use the same language as the descriptors - as an example note I said assistance and not help from another person.

I too am frustrated that proved ongoing costs on medical supplies, extra water costs, heating etc etc is not factored into the
    qualifying for Personal Independence Payment (you'd think there was a clue in the name wouldn't you lol).

However make sure you do still list your purchases and why you need them if possible under the appropriate descriptors.
    Such as pads for incontinence under the toileting descriptors.

Good luck, any more questions fire away, you won't usually have to wait long for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello Valeyard

List your appliances if you can under the appropriate descriptors.

For example if they are for bathing make sure you explain why you need them for bathing, what any care plan from social services or an OT said (supply a copy for evidence if you can) and what would happen if you did not have them - plus any assistance you need from another person.

Try to use the same language as the descriptors - as an example note I said assistance and not help from another person.

I too am frustrated that proved ongoing costs on medical supplies, extra water costs, heating etc etc is not factored into the
    qualifying for Personal Independence Payment (you'd think there was a clue in the name wouldn't you lol).

However make sure you do still list your purchases and why you need them if possible under the appropriate descriptors.
    Such as pads for incontinence under the toileting descriptors.

Good luck, any more questions fire away, you won't usually have to wait long for an answer.
    cant thank you all for taking the time to reply.
    Just so sorry this is late think its the stress i had a massive bleed the GP means well
    but when they say "try not to worry"

today in the post the forms arrived just over a week after the phone call and they want them back by the 7th of august.