Thread: Parking on garden / driveway put in / housing association

Parking on garden / driveway put in / housing association

Hiya,

I am currently a housing association tenant.
    I was in a property which I had to be moved out of, I had an OT write a report stating that I would need a parking space, which was sent to the housing association.

When I came to view this property, the previous tenant was parked on her front garden which is grassed, so I assumed that was allowed and that my housing association would have read my OT report regarding parking, so didn't think to question it....

However, after 3 weeks, I've now just found out I'm not allowed to park on my garden as it is a grassed area! The road is quite a walk from my front door (about 50 steps) and in a little cul-de-sac. It has a dropped kerb onto the little estate bit, and people do drive up to drop their shopping etc..

Where do I start?! Apparently I can get a disabled space put in on the road, but this doesn't help me as I am having issues getting from my door to the road.

Does anyone know, or point me in the right direction, as to whether I could get my front garden changed to hard standing so I can park there?? Or...any other solutions as to how I can work with this?! I don't want to have to move again, but I have already had problems getting out, and when I have another severe flare, I'm going to be trapped indoors!

I'm not sure how to explain the road, but the actual bungalows are all in 2 rows, with paths in between, so not a road, although people do drive up it... if that makes any sense!

Thanks in advance!

I think that the big problem here would be with driving along the path between the bungalows. (To get to any hard standing).

Although you say that people do drive along it they are obviously not supposed to be doing so.

It will be a footpath not a highway, and people driving along it may/will be damaging gas/water pipes, drainage pipes, and other services that run below it.
    It will not have been constructed to take the weight of vehicles, and frequent use by vehicles will eventually cause problems.

The dropped kerb will be to facilitate wheelchair, pushchair, and scooter access, not for vehicles.

Raising the question of a hardstanding may even result in the HA reviewing the current arrangement and blocking vehicular access, which may not go down well with your new neighbours.
    If you have already been told not to park on your lawn then they may be looking into it already.
    It's not unusual to see concrete or metal posts at the ends of such footways.

Your best option in the situation that you describe would seem to be to get a wheelchair or a 'boot scooter' for use between your parking space and your front door.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the advice.

I did think that the dropped kerb was for wheelchairs etc, but of course people getting shopping to and from their doors is a problem, it just seems like a crazy lay out for an over 50s estate!

I'm gutted, because if I'd have known this then I wouldn't have taken this property perhaps I will be moving again!

I had thought of something to get me to and from the car, however I then have the problem that I wouldn't be able to get it in and out of my car or my house, so it would be left in the road, or on my front garden!

Time to rethink my plans I think!

Thank you for replying!

You could ask for an assessment by the Local authority OT.
    The solution could be two fold, a powered chair to get you to the disabled space.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndseyb80 View Post
    I had thought of something to get me to and from the car, however I then have the problem that I wouldn't be able to get it in and out of my car or my house, so it would be left in the road, or on my front garden!
    I was thinking of a lightweight folding scooter that fits in the car boot, so should also fit in a corner of the house.

Something like these: https://www.ableworld.co.uk/8786-boot-scooters.aspx

You can often pick them up cheaply on eBay and the like, sometimes you will see them being given away on websites like Freecycle.
    (There are lot's of them about nowadays that become no longer needed).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.