Thread: Just Out Of Interest

Just Out Of Interest

Why is it once you tried to claim UC (before you were migrated) you cant go back to ESE

As far as I know UC is replacing ESA only for income related claimants. In other words, once you receive UC you are no longer eligible for ESA IR.

It's in the Welfare Reform Act, (and the Universal Credit legislation), in two parts.

In the WRA new claims for 'Legacy' benefits are abolished in UC areas (except for special circumstances such as SDP).
    The whole country is now one big UC area.

Other Regulations say that when you apply for UC your Legacy benefits are abolished (stopped) by the act of making that UC claim.
    (Just making the claim, not actually being awarded UC).

So you have voluntarily stopped your ESA yourself by applying for UC, and if something goes wrong with the UC claim then you can't make a new claim for ESA again because new claims for legacy benefits are abolished.

This is why it's very, very, risky to try and move to UC yourself without being migrated. - It's just too easy to get it wrong.
    We've had at least one member here come unstuck trying it and losing benefits for months.

Wait until you have to migrate.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.