Thread: A bit confused about ESA medical report

A bit confused about ESA medical report

I had my ESA assessment at the beginning of May. I didn't get a results letter, apparently it was lost in the post, as was another print out of it. But anyway, I was told over the phone that I have been placed in the support group again.

I had a very quick assessment, the nurse said he didn't think I should have been called in and it didn't last very long at all.

I have the medical report, it's not very detailed and I have scored zero points on many things that I do score on and the only points I was awarded was 15 for not being able to walk.

Is this standard? If you fit other criteria do they not award points if you meet the points elsewhere?

I was just thinking about it, and I was a bit worried that should they ever decide I can walk, could they strip me of the award, even though I have many other issues (for one bowl control).

Thanks for any help.

Here's a copy of my post about my assessment.

Just a quick post to say I had my assessment today and it went pretty similarly to yours.

I went in and he seemed very nice, he said he thought I shouldn't really have been sent for, but maybe was due to my forms having a lot of information on them and it was on separate sheets (to keep it neat) but he said it's a bit of bureaucracy.

He also said it'll be about 15 minutes, not keep me too long and just went through my conditions and meds and just a few things about day to day.

He then said that I could go, I'd have a result soon but there's no need to worry.

I'm very relieved it's over now and seemed to go OK.

Firstly to say that it's not that unusual to only score 15 points on one descriptor alone, I'm the same but mine is the unconsciousness descriptor.

But more importantly, points only count towards an award of WRAG (or UC-LCW).

As you have been awarded Support Group then it wasn't the points that got you there, so if you lost any points it shouldn't make any difference.

You get awarded Support Group by satisfying just one of the sixteen descriptors that don't score points. (or by satisfying special regulation 35).
    The first of these descriptors is if you cannot 'mobilise' more than 50 meters, (which is probably what gave you SG).

Once the assessor determined that you could not mobilise more than 50 meters and so qualified for SG, then he had no need to consider any of the other descriptors at all.

You can't get higher than SG, so there was no need to put you through the rest of the assessment. Which is why it was so quick.

If for some reason in future an assessor decides that you can mobilise more than 50m then they will carry on with the rest of the assessment, awarding points as applicable and considering the other scoring and non-scoring descriptors.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-11-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'm in support group with the 50m descriptor, they went thru the whole form with me and still put down I couldn't walk 50m or use a wheelchair. Even when I went to court to get ESA, they only put down the 50m descriptor despite also coming under a few others. I wouldn't worry about it, being in support group is the main thing.

I had my ESA Assesment in January, I've not heard anything since, Though my ESA hasn't changed. I'm scared to phone them about my ESA, TBH I'm bricking it in case I mess something up. Another weird thing is I was assessed for PIP a few months earlier in November 2018. I received my report in Feb for 2 points. I then sent my MR ( with help with my CAB caseworker) in the beginning of March & have heard nothing until I phoned the DWP in May, I felt or sensed panic on the phone once I told them I been waiting so long for my MR. They asked if they could phone me the next day, They said they'll fast track me. But I still haven't heard anything just a form saying they've have nearly made a decision, that was 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by skroez View Post
    I had my ESA Assesment in January, I've not heard anything since, Though my ESA hasn't changed. I'm scared to phone them about my ESA, TBH I'm bricking it in case I mess something up. Another weird thing is I was assessed for PIP a few months earlier in November 2018. I received my report in Feb for 2 points. I then sent my MR ( with help with my CAB caseworker) in the beginning of March & have heard nothing until I phoned the DWP in May, I felt or sensed panic on the phone once I told them I been waiting so long for my MR. They asked if they could phone me the next day, They said they'll fast track me. But I still haven't heard anything just a form saying they've have nearly made a decision, that was 3 weeks ago.
    I hope you get a result soon.

I know what you mean though, I didn't want to phone, but finally decided it was time to and put myself out of it's misery. Sometimes it' best to know if it's causing too much stress!

OK, thanks, I can understand it a bit better now. I'll just take the support group and leave it at that.

I haven't had a medical before for it, so I've had no idea what I got in on before any way!

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I hope you get a result soon.

I know what you mean though, I didn't want to phone, but finally decided it was time to and put myself out of it's misery. Sometimes it' best to know if it's causing too much stress!
    Thanks, man... Appreciated, Yeah your right. Its time to bite the bullet & find out whats going on with ESA & my M.R. result with PIP. Cheers. I wish you all the best.