Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Autistic adult son from ESA to UC

Moving Autistic adult son from ESA to UC

What a farce, there is no way on this earth that he could ever manage this on his own, God knows how he'll manage when I'm not here.

Fill in the online application, no problem until "Do you live alone"? No he doesn't but the next question only asks how many children under 19 live with him, answer 0 but no way to enter that I live with him so according to their system he lives alone!.

No way to put in that I'm his appointee or any other relevant information.

Almost 4hrs to get through to the "helpline" to be told "don't worry about it"

Next verify your identity digitally online, Experian and another service failed to verify him, finally managed using the Post Office but to do that you have to install an app on your mobile, scan a passport or other ID, send a selfie and give bank card details!.

Next get a phone call to say he has to attend an interview at the Jobcentre despite me explaining (when I managed to get through on the phone) that he hasn't been out of the house for almost 6 years and they said they'd post out his special security number to me.

Another phone call this morning,

" Am I his appointee?" Yes, "Have I got proof?" No it was done 15 years ago but it's on your system every time I've rang up previously so go look there.

"Have I got a photo ID for him and a bank card for his (joint) bank account?" Yes, you have a copy already as we completed the Gov. digital ID verification

"Can you send him down to the Jobcentre with them so we can give him his number?" No, you said you would post it out and (yet again) he hasn't been out for over 6 years.

"Can I bring them down?" Verified where the Jobcentre is and said No, "Why not" because the nearest disabled parking is over 200m away and it's a steep bank up to the office, I can't manage it.

So now (unless it changes again) someone else is going to ring me to do a home visit (not to assess him) just to get his ID and bank details that they already have and have been using for 15 years!!!.

As I said I have no idea how he's ever going to be able to do this when I'm not here for him, worried for him doesn't even come close

Well here we are almost 2 weeks later and still in limbo.

Online account says "You must arrange an interview"

Online help line varies between "You must do it or we'll close the claim and you won't be paid" or "Yes, everything is fine, you don't have to do it, the home visit team will contact you shortly" depending who you speak to.

His usual ESA payment is due on Wednesday, I'm hoping it actually turns up!

Well no surprise really, no ESA payment for him

Update, also got his P45 from ESA in the post this afternoon so I assume that means he's definitely off ESA now.

UC online account still says "You need to book an appointment, Book as soon as you can or you might have to claim again"

No sign of anyone ringing to arrange the home visit as promised 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by phaedra; 07-24-2019 at 12:07 PM.

ok the best advice i can give you is book an appointment and send someone down with all the id and explain whats been going on , then at least the jobcentre staff can be told , also you need to agree your UC commitment or the claim cannot start and will be closed.. you really need someone to help you like CAB or your going to help them close down the claim if they havnt already

Thanks Druid

Update, they finally rang, someone is coming out tomorrow afternoon.

They agreed I'm his DWP appointee (and have been for over 14 years) but I'll need to fill out new forms for it because of the move to UC ????

They want to see 2 forms of ID, bank card and passport, they already have these through the online digital verification process we had to do! but I have those ready.

They want to speak to him, not a problem I said as long as you come from about 8pm to 6am when he's up and about, that's his normal routine. She's insisting on waking him up while she's here so I've politely advised her of the possible outcomes,

1. He'll tell her to "go away" in a impolite manner!

2. He'll just lie there and not reply at all (most probable).

3. He'll agree to anything they ask him just to get rid of them.

4. He'll reply with something totally unrelated to the question, probably something about his current online gaming.

And I've asked they give me time to get to the door, I fell again last week and managed to break one of my sticks so I'm a lot slower using only one!!, typical bad timing I thought!!

I'll post back tomorrow after she's been
    Last edited by phaedra; 07-30-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Well, I now know how to Waltz

One step forward, one step sideways and one step backwards again

So, she came out, spent about 40 mins filling in her forms on her laptop, going over everything they have already, she got his date of birth wrong despite it being in front of her!.

After that I had to "sign" the appointees bit on her screen and that was me done. She had to see my son (who'd gone to bed earlier) but as he was still awake it wasn't a problem, he came out in "overly helpful" mode!.

I asked if this means he can now get paid and she had no idea!, all she was doing was checking the bank account details (same ones they've been using for 14 years without a problem) and me signing the appointee "form" on the laptop.

So basically as I said, a bit further forward with his claim, quick diversion to the side with the appointee stuff then backwards to where we started not knowing if/when he'll get paid anything.

Small update.

Just had a call from the Job centre, they've input the information from yesterday and he's due for a payment on the 17th (hopefully the correct amount!) and they're posting me out his security number to use if I need to ring them about anything.

I asked about the continual message saying he needs to arrange an appointment and she's going to remove it from his account.

So hopefully all sorted

hi again , if hes getting paid on the 17th it will be the same day every month , if you log into his universal credit account 5days before hes due a payment , and then scroll down to "payments" click on that it will tell you the amounts hes being paid ..
    usually the first payment is £319 basic universal credit plus any housing costs (if hes paying rent) , if he has been found unfit to work at a WCA that ammount will be added within 3months with any arrears owed.
    log into universal credit every week and click on "to do list" this is important for the first few months incase they need more info as they wont pay untill "to do list" is clear..
    also if you need to contact his "case manager" log in and put message on his journal address it to case manager..
    if you call the UC helpline all they do is put any questions you have asked on your journal so quicker to do it yourself ..
    Last edited by druid; 08-04-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks

Got his security number yesterday but only because someone kindly pushed it through our letterbox!, stupid postman delivered it to the wrong house!.

Address on the envelope was correct but he delivered it about 20 houses away from us!.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Thanks

Got his security number yesterday but only because someone kindly pushed it through our letterbox!, stupid postman delivered it to the wrong house!.

Address on the envelope was correct but he delivered it about 20 houses away from us!.
    Lucky you , I've never had anything posted whilst I've been on universal credit..