Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving Autistic adult son from ESA to UC

Morning all
    I got an email to check his account this morning, he's been put in LCWRA, so far so good!.

Only thing is there's now a question to answer in his "To do" list,

"In the 12 months before you claimed Universal Credit, were there any gaps in your employment? " Only options are Yes or No, he's never been employed at any time so neither answer fits.

I've put a note in his journal so we'll see what happens.

hi there i should click "no" just to clear it ..
    he hasnt had any gaps in his employment because he hasnt worked but if you dont click something the system will show unactioned question in "to do list" ..
    good to here they have already awarded him LWCRA ..
    have you clicked on his payments page?..
    yes the emails asking you to log in are normal if you havnt logged in for a while or 5days before a payment..
    if there is no payments page up it means "to do list" has not been cleared

I agree with druid to click 'no'.

If there has been no employment then there can't have been any gaps.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks All

Yes, there's a payment due on August 17th, it's from July 11th to August 10th which is odd as his ESA letter said in ended on July 8th.

I've seen other reports where they didn't stop paying ESA when they should where UC has been claimed instead.
    They blame lack of communication between UC and ESA.

They usually recover it as an overpayment of UC rather than an overpayment of ESA.

There are two reasons why they do it that way:
    1. UC overpayments are always recoverable no matter what caused them, even if it's their official error.
    2. They can recover at a higher rate with UC. They currently recover at 40% of the Standard Allowance.

That's arguably against the law, 40% recovery should only be routinely used in fraud cases, it's a maximum in other cases.
    But they hold the purse strings and so have been getting away with it using it for all overpayments as a matter of course.
    By the time you have requested MR of the amount being deducted, and they've looked at it, they've usually already recovered the overpayment anyway.
    So there is nothing left to appeal about anymore, and so it never even gets as far as a tribunal.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

just to add , the main reason ive found for claiments not recieving UC is they havnt cleared there "to do list"
    another reason is failure to complete online application within the time limit or not going to JC to sign there UC commitment (which in most cases just amounts to "i will notify of any changes")