Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: savings while on ESA CB and IR

That sounds like some of those letters may have got crossed up, they don't quite tally.

Fair enough they can stop the IR part, and take some back for overpayment.

But they can't suddenly claim that you didn't have enough NI credits if they have been paying CB ESA all along, provided your ESA started as CB then it is CB anytime you are in Support Group.
    I'll provide a link to a DWP memo about that when I get home.

You might want to consider getting help from a local welfare organisation if they try to stop the CB ESA.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post

But they can't suddenly claim that you didn't have enough NI credits if they have been paying CB ESA all along, provided your ESA started as CB then it is CB anytime you are in Support Group
    I'll provide a link to a DWP memo about that when I get home.
    My thoughts also .

Maybe in paranoid , but when the interview letter arrived last week I rang the DWP lady who would be conducting the interview , and told her I would be attending .I also Asked about my ESA CB and mentioned my savings should not be taken into consideration.
    I was told "I was on ESA CB from 2015,and then on both" however when I asked what dates I was on both . she couldn't give dates.( this was on a call back to me as , she had to check)
    Since I mentioned it , its all over on the new letters received but never on previous letter before.

Many thanks for DWP link , when you can.

Im considering taking a solicitor , expense I know , but as mentioned previously I have difficulty in budgeting decisions , and as many others really dont know how the benefit system works enough to defend myself on the day.
    Last edited by upnorth62; 07-23-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Here's the link to that memo:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post104882

The important bit for you is the part that is underlined in the quote, I'll repeat that bit here:
    This means a claimant will be able to get contribution-based
    Employment and Support Allowance
    for up to 365 days in the Work Related
    Activity Group and at any time whilst in the Support Group.
    Of course for that to apply then your ESA claim must have started as CB ESA.
    ie. You had sufficient NI contributions when you claimed, or you were a transfer from IB.
    (If it started as IR ESA then that clause does not apply).

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Here's the link to that memo:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post104882

The important bit for you is the part that is underlined in the quote, I'll repeat that bit here:
    Of course for that to apply then your ESA claim must have started as CB ESA.
    ie. You had sufficient NI contributions when you claimed, or you were a transfer from IB.
    (If it started as IR ESA then that clause does not apply).
    Understood and thanked for.

I can cope with the DWP taking £40 a week , but im also now having to deal with HOUSING BENEFIT

I got 2 more letters this morning ,first one was stopping my DHP as occasionally my sons stays overnight .

The other letter is "suspension of housing benefit and council tax support ." ( Im now predicting c/tax bills arriving soon)

Im guessing the Housing benefits works on same scale as DWP (£1 for every £250), Do they also take into account if you are on ESA CB OR IR?
    I ve been asked to fill in a on-line form within 30 days .

ill keep you all posted .

What a nightmare for you.I hope you get some answers and get things sorted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiejane View Post
    What a nightmare for you.I hope you get some answers and get things sorted soon.
    Hi barbiejane . Thanks for your thoughts , much appreciated .

The info I received here recently and in the past has been a God send , im just waiting for interview now .ill post on outcome/ interview results next week.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth62 View Post
    Understood and thanked for.

I can cope with the DWP taking £40 a week , but im also now having to deal with HOUSING BENEFIT

I got 2 more letters this morning ,first one was stopping my DHP as occasionally my sons stays overnight .

The other letter is "suspension of housing benefit and council tax support ." ( Im now predicting c/tax bills arriving soon)

Im guessing the Housing benefits works on same scale as DWP (£1 for every £250), Do they also take into account if you are on ESA CB OR IR?
    I ve been asked to fill in a on-line form within 30 days .

ill keep you all posted .
    Yes, HB is an Income Related benefit and works on the same rules for savings, £1 for each £250 over £6k.
    And I'm sorry to say that you have probably been overpaid HB as well if they didn't know about the savings, and the council will want that overpayment back.

Council Tax is down to each individual council though, each council has it's own rules for that.

DHP's as the name says are 'Discretionary' so each council has their own rules.
    There again that's more to do with your son stopping over than your savings.
    Perhaps the good news there is that because they are discretionary and not a legal right then they can't realy say there has been an overpayment.

Susupending the HB/CTR is standard practice while they investigate what is happening/has happened.
    At least they have suspended it and not stopped it altogether.

It can become a right mess when you have made a mistake like this, and everyone seems to be on your back at once to get it all corrected.

Hopefully it will all be sorted soon and you can get on with things.

I think consulting a solicitor may be a good move here, especially as HB and CTR are now also in the picture, but make sure it's one who knows benefit law.

If you have been getting HB/CTR on the grounds of having IR ESA, then you can hardly claim that you thought your ESA was entirely CB.
    If that is the case then you are getting close to being accused of deliberate benefit fraud.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-24-2019 at 10:24 AM.

I second nukecad's advice reference the car.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    I second nukecad's advice reference the car.
    .. yep all spending on hold, apart from essentials.

Interview done.

The tapes were sealed and I chose one, apparently its a long drawn out decision ,and I wont know for months .

I received no money this week ( apart from PIP), so I rang the DWP this morning,and explained the situation to the adviser I was told since I only had the interview recently it was to early to tell if and when I will get any money soon .I was asked to call back next week when there system updates

Once again many thanks for help ,advice

I will up date as and when.
    Last edited by upnorth62; 07-31-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Hi guys ,hope all is well .
    Rang DWP this week and no real answer on whats happening, or if any payments coming soon,or in near future ,although I was told the decision will be made in 4 weeks , or so.

How long can the DWP suspend my benefits for,as last payment was mid July?
    On turn 2us I read its 4 weeks for first offence , but I also read on another site, if its a serious case , benefits can be held indefinitely until the decision is made .
    All thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by upnorth62; Yesterday at 03:40 PM.