Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can I keep PIP if I move abroad?

How long can I keep PIP if I move abroad?

I am receiving non-contribution based PIP if I move to an EU country how long can I continue receiving PIP?
    I think it's four weeks since it's non-contribution based but if I said I was leaving temporarily it could go for 13 weeks? Can I go and simply return for a bit just before 13 weeks or would that be very bad?

Are you sure it is PIP as that has nothing at all to do with contribution or means tested.
    Do you mean ESA?

It's 13 weeks with PIP for a temporary absence abroad.
    Or 26 weeks if you are going for medical treatment.

If you move abroad permenantly then you can still get PIP daily living but not mobility.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you but I understood from this line that I would have needed to make national insurance contributions to continue receiving it?

Going abroad permanently to another EEA country or Switzerland
    You or a family member may be able to claim benefits if you:

work in the UK or pay National Insurance in the UK because of work
    have paid enough National Insurance to qualify for contribution-based benefits

are getting State Pension, Industrial Injuries Benefit, contribution-based ESA or bereavement benefits
    If you’re eligible then you may be able to claim:

Disability Living Allowance care component
    Personal Independence Payment living component
    Attendance Allowance or Carer’s Allowance

Ah I see the confusion,

PIP is a benefit that is not Income Related, and it is not dependent on your NI contributions.
    It's outside of both of those rules. (as are DLA and AA, and to a certain point CA).

You have to look at the parts you are quoting there a bit more closely.

The first line is just the introduction about going to EEA or Switzerland.

The next 4 lines you quote, about NI conts. and then the state pension, etc. are part of one 'may be' rule,
    "You or a family member may be able to claim benefits if you:"
    And then the dots at the front of the next 3 lines show that those 3 apply to that 'may be' rule.

Then the "If you’re eligible then you may be able to claim:" forms a different 'may be' rule
    The dots in front of the next 3 lines show that they apply to that different 'may be' rule.

The 2 sections stand on their own and are different rules

https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

Different rules for different benefits in different countries, you should get face to face advise

https://advicelocal.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Ah I see the confusion,

PIP is a benefit that is not Income Related, and it is not dependent on your NI contributions.
    It's outside of both of those rules. (as are DLA and AA, and to a certain point CA).

You have to look at the parts you are quoting there a bit more closely.

The first line is just the introduction about going to EEA or Switzerland.

The next 4 lines you quote, about NI conts. and then the state pension, etc. are part of one 'may be' rule,
    "You or a family member may be able to claim benefits if you:"
    And then the dots at the front of the next 3 lines show that those 3 apply to that 'may be' rule.

Then the "If you’re eligible then you may be able to claim:" forms a different 'may be' rule
    The dots in front of the next 3 lines show that they apply to that different 'may be' rule.

The 2 sections stand on their own and are different rules

Many thanks for all your help!

However I did some more digging and dls seems to think that you need to have made contriubtions?

"The rules are different if you decide to move abroad. Claimants of PIP (Living
    Component) and DLA (Care Component) can now continue to claim their
    benefits in another EEA country if:
    1. They already live in another EEA country (you don’t need to have claimed in
    the UK before you move) –

To qualify, you must be a habitual resident in the EEA country or
    Switzerland, and have a genuine link with the UK social security system, (for
    example, you’ve lived or worked in the UK).

2. Are going abroad permanently to another EEA country –
    To qualify, you or a family member must:
    (a) Work in the UK or pay National Insurance in the UK because of work; (b)
    have paid enough National Insurance to qualify for contribution-based
    benefits; and (c) are getting State Pension, Industrial Injuries Benefit,
    contribution-based ESA or bereavement benefits. "

https://dls.org.uk/wp-content/upload...-Factsheet.pdf
    Does this imply that you need to meet the conditions of both 1 and 2? How would 1 even work on it's own would you have to move and then inform the PIP team?

Sorry for all these questions it just seems so confusing.

First to note that that is a 2 year old article.

But more than that it would not seem to be correct.

As you point out -
    Thinking logically it would make no sense at all if you could make a new claim PIP with none of those part 2 qualifiers if already living abroad, but if you moved abroad you couldn't take your existing PIP with you without those part 2 qualifiers.

DlS seem to have confused the rules for CB benefits with PIP which is not a CB benefit.

I'd forget that old article and go with the official DWP link that I gave above.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    First to note that that is a 2 year old article.

But more than that it would not seem to be correct.

As you point out -
    Thinking logically it would make no sense at all if you could make a new claim PIP with none of those part 2 qualifiers if already living abroad, but if you moved abroad you couldn't take your existing PIP with you without those part 2 qualifiers.

DlS seem to have confused the rules for CB benefits with PIP which is not a CB benefit.

I'd forget that old article and go with the official DWP link that I gave above.
    Okay, thanks again

Will Brexit mess things up?