Thread: Is it worth complaining about PIP assessor?

Is it worth complaining about PIP assessor?

I had an awful PIP assessment, it just felt awful.

She was abrupt and rude, I had a panic attack, a bad one, and she showed no sympathy but said rudely she wouldn't want to continue. I did it in the end, but

In the report she's said my mother was rude, she only said we'll have to continue as she thought she was going to not do it and she knew I'd worked myself up. She's mentioned her in the report a lot like this.

Then she's made assumptions, she says I cannot have faints at least once a week as I only see someone once a year, the thing is, my conditions are ongoing with no treatment, new information, so I'm left alone with them.

She also says other things which were misrepresented, like my mother saying I can't do certain things. She also phoned me at home twice afterwards with no explanation, only when we called the office did they tell us why (that she was new and had issues with her report).

I'm wondering whether to make a complaint, but I don't know if I have any reason/grounds to. what sort of thing warrants a complaint?

The report is somewhat of a joke, she states she wanted to stop the assessment due to my panic attack and breathing due to it, but then throughout the report says I showed no mental health issues at the assessment.

I don't even understand it.

Also, I was in pain throughout because the assessment was so long. I was so uncomfortable, she says I voiced this, but to her showed no signs of pain, how exactly does she know what I'm feeling? This is ridiculous! I remember how my face was, my mum said I looked terrible, I'm not sure what I was supposed to do to illustrate pain?!!!!

This was back in May wasn't it?

The first thing to rememeber is that there are 2 seperate issue here.

One is about the report, and so the decision once it has been made.
    The other is about the behaviour of the assessor.
    It's important not to get the 2 issues mixed up.

First and foremost is the Decision, which has yet to be made.
    If the report is as bad as you say then the Decision Maker should pick up on that, and may even have sent it back it back to be reworked.
    (Which could be why it's taking so long).
    If the decision is unfavourable then you look to have grounds to make a good challenge at MR/appeal.
    Complaining about the assessor during MR/appeal doesn't work, never works, you have to concentrate on the grounds/decision not on the assessor.

Second (and less important although it may not seem so) is any complaint that you want to make about the assessors behaviour.
    That should be done entirely seperately to any MR/appeal, it is nothing to do with those and will not change any decision.
    It should be entirely about her behaviour and not about her report, although you can mention when what she said in the report is at odds with her behaviour.
    You can complain about her behaviour to both the assessors and to the DWP.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yes, there's the two issues.

I have the award now, I have been reduced to standard care from enhanced, and enhanced mobility.

I haven't decided to ask for a MR or not, I'm a bit torn on it.

A complaint would be separate from a Mr if I were to ask for one. I have seen it advised not to complain in the MR. Can I mention it though, so say it states I probably do not faint as much due to only one appointment a year, can I mention this and explain why that's the case, without insulting the assessor? I'd like to argue the points, but not in a way that insults them.

I was also wondering if it's worth even complaining. What would happen afterwards? Is there any real point to it? When I called up for the report and had a discussion with the woman from the DWP, she suggested putting in a complaint about her, before the report was even seen.

Also, sorry, this may be fragmented, but my thoughts are all over the show. Is it in her scope to report that my mother was rude? It has no impact on my health at all, likewise, she said my mother didn't say goodbye to her, what does this even matter to my conditions and the effect they have on me?

Also, what would happen?

Would I need another one? Would I have to do anything official?

Sorry, jumbled thoughts.

Not a bad award, but obviously less than you had before.

If you do decide to MR/appeal then yes, of course you argue against what the report says not being correct, and argue that you should have got more points.
    Without that you wouldn't have an argument at all.

You just leave any complaints/personailties out of it, it's about what the law says not about people or how they acted.

If the report is as incorrect as you say then it sounds like you may have a good argument for Enhanced DL, but I would get a local advice centre to help you with any MR/appeal.
    Their experience of what's best to argue can make all the difference.
    https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

As for if it's worth complaining or not?
    In the end that's your choice.
    Think about what you hope to achieve from any complaint.

It's unusual to get any compensation, although it has been known to happen.
    You would probably get an apology. (Pretty meaningless).
    Whether any action would be taken against the assessor is debatable, probably a 'slapped wrist' at the most.
    (From what you say about her being new, having 'issues with her report', and trying to telephone you suggests that it was indeed sent back for rework by the DWP, so she's probably already been reprimanded for that).

You would have the satisfaction of making the complaint and getting it off your chest.

But in the long run I wouldn't expect it to make much difference to anything other than adding to the 'How many complaints have been received' count.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

That's the thing, I have no idea what to expect from a complaint, I don't think it will change my award, although from a google it seems some people's were altered, I'm not sure what to think.

I'm just a little annoyed, she was so rude and dismissive when I was in crisis, and then she includes in the report that my Mother was rude, I don't even know why that's on there, it has no bearing on my conditions. I do feel that this should be addressed, pretty much because it's not her place to be saying these things in a report based on my health and how it affects me!

From the actual ATOS site, the report hadn't gone to the DWP, it was internal reviews that meant they weren't satisfied with her report, twice. I don't know if that makes any difference though.