Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funeral planning

Funeral planning

What do others do when on benefits about planning ahead for their funeral?
    Savings are limited and I think this makes it difficult to put something aside in a bank account for our funeral.

I spoke to a local undertaker who told me they don't agree with the paying into a plan as many do not cover all costs and so family are still left with a bill.
    Sea Queen

Cremation for £995 or burial from £1495 from Provident Funerals (do a quick Google search), no rip-off pricing
    I've set money aside for my kids to use for me, a simple no-frills cremation. One of my friends died in March and used them, no problems at all, very pleasant professional service.

I was given a rough idea of current costs for cremation at just over £3.500. Yes I was told of the basic figures you have quoted but this figure was with with the added costs which the funeral director told me about.

I know one was DR's fee which has to be paid. If I find the paper I jotted it on I will repost.
    I can set money aside for a funeral for myself but wanted to make sure my daughter who is disabled and on ESA, SD and Enhanced PIP has enough and of course the savings limit isn't going to cover funeral costs.

Roughly in my mind I am thinking 5 to 7 grand for my daughter should she reach pension age ( this obviously depends on how much the costs increase over the years )
    I need to maybe look into setting up a trust with this money in but unsure if DWP would count it as 'savings' for her. Obviously then she would be over the limit and in trouble!!
    Sea Queen

I've paid for a funeral plan already. When my mom died, in 2017, we found she'd had a plan with the co-op for years and it was all paid for. OK thats the basic costs, but ask yourself, do you want a big DO? You're gone! Local undertaker will charge you extra for hearse for family, for urn, for internment etc.
    I reccomend http://www.naturaldeath.org.uk/ there really is a lot you can do yourself - or your family and this advises on what is legally necessary and what is just window dressing.

Also plan ahead yourself. Think about organ donation. Yep you still can donate even with ms. LET YOUR FAMILY KNOW YOUR WISHES. Saves a big hassle when your gone. https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/reg...-your-details/

Also get a POA set up. Power of Attorney. Means when you are gone, some one is nominated to handle the finances. Otherwise is goes thru probate and will take MONTHS. If theres a property to be sold, or bill to be paid, this will make things smoother.

It's not so much the planning but how to save the money for daughters funeral.
    Wwe have already agreed to have a double plot so that will come out of my monies but
    What do others on benefits do to plan for their funeral - take out an insurance?
    Sea Queen

I know my aunt, she was on benefits and she would withdraw money and give it to her sister to keep for her funeral.

I'm not sure if it's 100% legit, but she put away quite a few grand for it

I looked into it after my CA (that's Cardiac Arrest, not Carers Allowance, LOL) and my heart stopped for 20 minutes a couple of years ago. (yeah, might have been a bit late to look at it).

I have a old works pension which isn't in payment yet and won't pay a lot, but would pay out a lump sum in the event of my death.
    That should be enough to cover a funeral, maybe with a bit left over.

If you have ever paid into an old works pension then it may be worth tracking it down and seeing if it contains a similar clause.
    Try starting here: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...sion-forecasts
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-30-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

All I can tell you is that for under £1,000 my friends cremation went perfectly, no added fees for doctors etc. everything was included in the price.

Have a look at their website for full details.

They delivered his ashes to his executor (luckily he'd made a will about a month earlier!) and we had them scattered at sea as he'd requested.

Money has been set aside for my no frills cremation. Just collect body from where ever and fit me in when a spare slots is free at crematorium.

Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
    Money has been set aside for my no frills cremation. Just collect body from where ever and fit me in when a spare slots is free at crematorium.
    They are called Direct Cremations and can be done for about £600 although the Coop does charge just over £1000 for them.