Thread: universal credit ,can i be sanctioned,

universal credit ,can i be sanctioned,

i am a 61 year old male ive been on sick for nearly a year. now i am fit for work, and back on uc.
    my coach is asking me to get some work experience for my CV,
    but can not find anything suitable. only charity shop work.which i don't want to do.
    if i refuse can they sanction me. i can not stand for long periods so looking for part time work.

As you are fit-for-work then you will be subject to the 'All work-related Requirements' group.

Which means that, yes, you can be sanctioned for refusing to comply with a mandated activity.

So it depends just what the WC has mandated you to do.

I suspect that at this stage that will be to look/search for work or work experience, (usually you would have to look for 35 hours a week, but that can be reduced in certain circumstances), so you need to be able to show that you have been looking.

If you don't look, or can't show that you have been looking, then they can sanction you.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    As you are fit-for-work then you will be subject to the 'All work-related Requirements' group.

Which means that, yes, you can be sanctioned for refusing to comply with a mandated activity.

So it depends just what the WC has mandated you to do.

I suspect that at this stage that will be to look/search for work or work experience, (usually you would have to look for 35 hours a week, but that can be reduced in certain circumstances), so you need to be able to show that you have been looking.

If you don't look, or can't show that you have been looking, then they can sanction you.
    thanks for reply .yes i know that if i am mandated, to do a task, and don't do it i will be sanctioned, but she only asked me to try find some voluntary work. voluntary is not mandated. but i could be wrong.

It's not the work itself, you have not been asked to do any work.

You have been asked to 'try to find' some voluntary work. (That doesn't mean that you have to actually find any, just try).

If you don't 'try to find' then you may be sanctioned, that would depend on whether she asked that you 'try to find' or if she mandated that you 'try to find'.

TBH if you are not sure then to be on the safe side it's always going to be best to treat any 'ask' as a 'mandation'.

a friend of mine as is own roofing business. he said i could do voluntary work half a day. 4 hours a week.on a Friday light laboring duties sweeping up mixing compo ect.
    do you think they would gree to that.and would he have to commit to anything.
    Last edited by bcham; 31-07-19 at 11:03.

Again they are not asking you to find any work at this stage, only to look and 'try to find'.

I'm not sure that they would accept working for a business as 'voluntary work'.
    Voluntary work is usually done for a charity or similar. (My posting on here counts as voluntary work for my ESA).

What you are proposing there sounds more like 'unpaid work experience'.

You could run it past your work coach and see what they say.
    I'd guess that they would be happy to see that you are trying and are actually getting out and doing something, but would expect you to progress from there.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Again they are not asking you to find any work at this stage, only to look and 'try to find'.

I'm not sure that they would accept working for a business as 'voluntary work'.
    Voluntary work is usually done for a charity or similar. (My posting on here counts as voluntary work for my ESA).

What you are proposing there sounds more like 'unpaid work experience'.

You could run it past your work coach and see what they say.
    I'd guess that they would be happy to see that you are trying and are actually getting out and doing something, but would expect you to progress from there.
    ill have word with my work coach,its either that or working in a charity shop. only thing is my friend is worried about the job center snooping in to his business, i said i cant see them doing that.
    Last edited by bcham; 31-07-19 at 14:36.

Half a day's work for your mate is not really trying much is it ?
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Half a day's work for your mate is not really trying much is it ?
    its better than zero work, when your 61 with health conditions its trying enough for me, its only to get some up to date work on my cv.
    Last edited by bcham; 31-07-19 at 16:09.

i totally agree bcham , your problem is your being honest to JC staff and no account of your health or age is taken into account ..
    thats why most people on benefits wont move off benefits because in this country your either fit to work or not and the system isnt very flexible
    i think its high time people over 50 are treated with more respected and maybe they should concentrate more on teenagers doing 3days aweek in college to avoid doing any work ...best of luck.