Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone advise me about a claim for Severe Disability Premium please.

Can anyone advise me about a claim for Severe Disability Premium please.

In 2010 I had a massive stroke that has left me disabled both mentally and physically. At first, I was on Income Support and DLA. Sometime in 2012 (I think) I was moved from Income Support to ESA and about 4 years ago I was moved from DLA to PIP. Today I get ESA of £249.94 every two weeks and £591.90 a month PIP as I receive the higher rate of mobility and the higher rate of daily living. A friend of mine who is also disabled also gets something called the ESA Severe Disability Premium. I wondered if anyone on this forum could tell me if I’m entitled to this benefit and if so, how do I claim it. Finally, I have read that some people who like me were moved from Income Support to ESA are getting huge amounts of back pay. I’m wondering if because I have never received the Severe Disability Premium if this is the benefit I should have received when I was moved for Income Support to ESA.
    I apologise this is such a long first thread but I’m getting no official help so I thought a forum where there might other people like me was the best place to go for advice.
    Last edited by Rhodd; 08-06-2019 at 05:22 PM.

To claim SDP you must be living alone and no-one must be claiming Carer's Allowance for looking after you so can you confirm that both those are true in your case?

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    To claim SDP you must be living alone and no-one must be claiming Carer's Allowance for looking after you so can you confirm that both those are true in your case?
    Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. I live alone and for about 4 years I've been receiving the higher rate of both PIP components. Prior to that I was receiving the higher rate of DLA mobility and the lower rate of carers allowance. This is where my mental problems kick in. I can't remember how long l was on DLA but I'm sure it was around 2013.
    The reason I didn't ask the DWP is because I assumed the higher rate of PIP was to help me cope on my own and l was scared of being told l was getting to much.
    I'm very grateful to you for all you help so far, if you still think I qualify can l ask you to tell me what I do next.

You wouldn't have qualified for SDP with the DLA lower rate care component. (With DLA it has to be middle or higher rate care).

You do qualify for SDP with either rate Daily Living with PIP.

(The Mobility component does not count with either DLA or PIP).

So it looks as if you should have had the SDP added to your ESA since you have been on PIP - as long as you are entitled to Income Related ESA.

Which raises another slight problem.
    I can't get your ESA amount to add up for your circumstances.
    From what you have said I believe that it's probably CB ESA only with a Transitional Addition from your IB-ESA transfer, (but it could also be if you have savings).

It is quite possible that you should have been being paid IR ESA as well as the CB, the DWP made a big error when transfering people from IB to ESA and forgot to add any IR entitlement.
    This is what you refered to in your first post about people getting large backpayments.
    They are correcting this error at the moment (and backpaying people when needed), but it's a huge job and they may not have got round to yours yet.

The other, lesser, possibility is if you have savings of above £6,000 which would reduce the amount of ESA you get paid.
    Do you have such savings?

In either case you should ring the DWP and ask for the SDP to be added to your ESA.
    One of two things should then happen:
    1. If you do already have an IR ESA entitlement they will just ask a few questions over the phone and sort it out there and then.
    2. If you are one of those who they missed out so don't currently have an IR ESA entitlement then they will probably need to send you a form to fill in, which asks more questions.
      This form could be either a standard ESA3, or a special ESA3(IBR) - (the '(IBR)' stands for 'Incapacity Benefit Review' and it's a special version used for correcting their error), either form will do the job of getting the SDP added and backpaid for as long as you have had PIP DL.

If they send you the (IBR) version then there may also be a bit more backpay to come in the form of the EDP, it won't be a massive amount because you have had a Transitional Addition paid, but there should be something still to come.
      If they don't send you an ESA3(IBR) now then you can expect one sometime in the near future.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You wouldn't have qualified for SDP with the DLA lower rate care component. (With DLA it has to be middle or higher rate care).

You do qualify for SDP with either rate Daily Living with PIP.

(The Mobility component does not count with either DLA or PIP).

So it looks as if you should have had the SDP added to your ESA since you have been on PIP - as long as you are entitled to Income Related ESA.

Which raises another slight problem.
    I can't get your ESA amount to add up for your circumstances.
    From what you have said I believe that it's probably CB ESA only with a Transitional Addition from your IB-ESA transfer, (but it could also be if you have savings).

It is quite possible that you should have been being paid IR ESA as well as the CB, the DWP made a big error when transfering people from IB to ESA and forgot to add any IR entitlement.
    This is what you refered to in your first post about people getting large backpayments.
    They are correcting this error at the moment (and backpaying people when needed), but it's a huge job and they may not have got round to yours yet.

The other, lesser, possibility is if you have savings of above £6,000 which would reduce the amount of ESA you get paid.
    Do you have such savings?

In either case you should ring the DWP and ask for the SDP to be added to your ESA.
    One of two things should then happen:
    1. If you do already have an IR ESA entitlement they will just ask a few questions over the phone and sort it out there and then.
    2. If you are one of those who they missed out so don't currently have an IR ESA entitlement then they will probably need to send you a form to fill in, which asks more questions.
      This form could be either a standard ESA3, or a special ESA3(IBR) - (the '(IBR)' stands for 'Incapacity Benefit Review' and it's a special version used for correcting their error), either form will do the job of getting the SDP added and backpaid for as long as you have had PIP DL.

If they send you the (IBR) version then there may also be a bit more backpay to come in the form of the EDP, it won't be a massive amount because you have had a Transitional Addition paid, but there should be something still to come.
      If they don't send you an ESA3(IBR) now then you can expect one sometime in the near future.

Thank you so much for going to so much trouble for me, I am incredibly grateful to you. My speech is really bad and I've got a stutter that gets worse the more stressed I am. I do not have any savings and live from one payment to the next. I can't remember the last time I went out. I try to avoid strangers at all costs. I am not short of money at the moment so I can either wait until my sister gets over and I'll ask her to ring up for me or, I could wait until they contact me to say I've got a big cheque on the way and then write to them and ask to add on the severe disability premium. Do you think that would work. Either way I will definitely get back to because you have been so nice to me and so helpful. I will also be looking at threads where people might worries about their PIP interview and I will try to help them as you have helped me.
    Do you think my idea of waiting for them to contact me will work or do you think I really need to ring them and get the ball rolling.
    As you are the expert in these matters I will be guided by you.
    One final question I was 65 in July and I have been on DLA from 2011, when my ESA stops and I get my old age pension do I still get my PIP.
    Thank you so much for everything you've done for me.
    Last edited by Rhodd; 08-08-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Normally you would just inform them you want the SDP to be added, and they would either do it over the phone, or send you a standard ESA3.

It's just a bit funny at the moment because of the review of IB-ESA transfers and the special ESA3(IBR) form.

In your case I would still ring them when you can (or when your sister can) and ask for the SDP to be added to your ESA.
    You should then get the extra money and some backpay for the SDP.

They might do your IB-ESA transfer review at the same time, or might leave that up to the special team that is dealing with it to contact you later.
    As I said don't expect too much from that, again because you have been getting a transitional addition on your ESA then any backpay for that will be nowhere near as big as some of the other reports you have seen.

If I get time later I may try and work it out, but TBH the transitional addition make it a bit tricky to calculate.
    (Which is why I think they may send your whole case to the special team once you contact them).

You have done so much for already so please don't go to anymore trouble. As I've already said I'm not short of money so anything else I get will just be a very nice bonus. I will ring and ask them to add the SDP and see what happens. I can't thank you enough for everything you've already done for me.
    One final question I was 65 in July this year and I have been on DLA from 2011, when my ESA stops and I get my old age pension do I still get my PIP. The reason I ask is because I live in a council flat and I think I will have to the rent to the council. As long as I still get my PIP I will be able to afford the rent and still have enough to live on.

Many many thanks once again.

DLA or PIP will still continue after State Pension Age.

As far as the rent goes though Housing Benefit does not stop at Sate Pension Age.

As long as you don't have high savings or any 'income' (DLA/PIP doesn't count) then you can still get Housing Benefit.
    It will just be on low/no income grounds rather than because you have ESA.

Hi Nukecad,
    I don't know how to thank you. I rang the DWP and everything went as you said it would. I said I'd been told to ask them to add the SDP to my ESA and I was asked a few questions and then the lady said everything had been put in place and someone would be in touch. When she said was there anything else she could do I asked her to put me through to a supervisor or line manager so I could let them how helpful she had been. I explained to the supervisor how helpful the lady had been and how much my life was going to change. My life is about to change. I assume there will be 33 months of backpay plus the extra money each week. I keep saying this Nukecad but I really can't thank you enough for giving me the confidence to make the call.
    You have made a huge difference to my life.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    True. You can't get carer allowance and severe disability allowance together