Thread: Transitional Protection (Universal Credit)

Transitional Protection (Universal Credit)

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get my head around how transitional protection will work now managed migrations have begun. As I understand it, no managed migrant to UC will be worse off with a transitional payment made to top up the amount you get to match what you were on at the point of switching to UC.

This payment will continue until you are no longer eligible for UC or until UC payments naturally increase to above what you get with transitional payment.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong but this transitional protection was introduced because none of the disability premiums exist under UC. Whilst the TP works at the point of switching, what it essentially means is that any increases in benefit are non existent until it rises above what you get at the point of switching. This means year on year, the TP is eroded until the point it no longer exists.

In real terms, it means you have essentially had your benefits frozen for however long it takes for any increases to match what you're on. At that point, TP, EDP and SDP have all gone.

How then does TP help with those who currently receive EDP and SDP? All it does is lengthen the amount of time until they stop getting it whilst putting them on a benefit freeze in the meantime!
    Last edited by grrrrrowl; 08-11-2019 at 06:55 PM.

You have understood it correctly, in the most part.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong but this transitional protection was introduced because none of the disability premiums exist under UC.
    That's the part you have (understandably) misinterpreted.
    The Transitional Protection is not simply because of there being no disability premiums in UC. - Although with this being a disability forum we do tend to concentrate on that.

The TP is to make sure that you don't get less money on UC than you did on your old benefits.
    That's six Income Related benefits, and not all of them even have disability premiums.
    Many people who don't have a disability at all will get some TP to protect their payments. - Those with Working Tax Credits and/or Child Tax Credits in particular.

The TP will keep your UC at the same payments until the standard UC rates catch up, your UC ends for a number of months, or you have one of certain specified 'changes of circumstances'.
    So as the standard UC rates go up your Transitional Payment will decrease and keep your payments the same.
    But remember that you will still be getting more than you would if you only had standard UC. So you are not losing out, you are still getting something extra.

This will be the same as it was with the Transitional Addition that was given when those on IB/IS were migrated to ESA.
    Many of those have been on a fixed amount for years, some still are.
    As ESA rates went up the TA amount went down to keep their payment the same.

Again, they have not been losing out because they didn't get a yearly increase, they have still been getting more than they would have done with standard ESA alone.

That IB/IS to ESA Transitional Addition is due to end in March next year. (10 years after IB/IS migration to ESA started).
    TBH there should have been no one still getting it by then, if they hadn't frozen benefits in 2016 then the standard ESA would have caught up.
    Most cases I've seen on here only get around £1.30 to £1.60 TA now, if the benefit freeze hadn't been in place then that would have been eroded by now.
    And it probably will be eroded by next years ESA rate rise, so they won't end up losing and will get a small increase for the first time in years.
    (I have seen one case which will lose about £9 in TA in March next year, again all due to the benefit freeze).

I'm not sure if there is an eventual cut off date for the ESA to UC TP; I'd have to read the regulations again.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I think my TA was only £2 or so on my first year on ESA, and that was with maximum age addition on IB, I guess some others had some kind of large topup on IB?

Thanks for the fuller picture.

Is it not the case though where if you are not getting yearly increases (when everyone else is) that actually you are losing out? Erosion of the TA/TP payment is simply a delay in when you lose out as your benefits have been frozen at times when all other benefits get an increase. Sure, losing the money you would have had from EDP/SDP etc 10 years later is better than losing it straight away, but the end result is still the same. Also, not forgetting, there are several ways to lose TP before it is even fully eroded with no way of getting it back afterwards.

I'm surprised there has not been more of an uproar about this. It's like sticking a plaster on but slowly bleeding out.
    Last edited by grrrrrowl; 08-11-2019 at 05:48 PM.

I think that what you need to consider is that - yes - you will not get those (not guaranteed) yearly increases - but you will be getting more than those anyway, and you will be getting more right from the start.

Bird in the hand or two in the bush?
    I'd rather have it as a (reducing) TP than not have it at all.

I realise that in the long term the disability premiuns will be eroded.
    That's a political choice; but they could have done it all at once.

They did do it all at once, hence the complaints and the eventual creation of TP. If there were/are complaints over this before TP was announced, in my view those same complaints are still valid.

What we are seeing is essentially the removal of EDP and SDP. It is grossly unfair and I guess the point of my post is to make more people aware that TP has solved nothing, all it has done is remove your premiums over a longer period instead and therefore should not be accepted as a solution.

I urge all of you to write to your MP and explain it in this manner. It seems to me that people have not fully taken on board removing the help you are currently entitled to now vs 10 years down the line is still removing what you are entitled to. 10 years down the line will be too late and acting now is the only way this can be avoided.
    Last edited by grrrrrowl; 08-11-2019 at 06:46 PM.

I hate that Kenneth from Ecuador has hijacked my thread, so I've decided to share the email I wrote to several MPs. I would be happy for anyone to copy it and send to their MP as I really believe something must be done about this and we are the ones that must make our voices heard.

Universal Credit - Transitional Protection

Dear xxxx,

I am writing to question the validity of the creation of TP for those coming onto UC in the near future. TP was created to ensure that those currently receiving enhanced/severe disability premiums (under ESA) and various tax credits would not be worse off at the point of moving onto UC. What then happens is that TP remains in place until the standard rates of UC catch up and then overtake what you get with UC + TP, essentially TP is eroded with each rise in benefit (if that ever happens again).

With TP having been created because people were getting less after switching to UC (largely because there are no equivalent parts of UC that replace disability premiums currently under ESA), how in the world do you think that instead of lowering the amount people get if they switch now…. to lowering what they get years down the line (in real terms) after TP has been fully eroded is acceptable??

This is not even to mention that there are various mechanisms that TP can be removed before it has been fully eroded (like no longer being eligible for UC, various changes in circumstance) whereby if you then had to claim again, you’d no longer be eligible for TP!

I am surprised and disappointed that there has not been more questioning about the disappearance of disability premiums under UC and how TP is not a solution to this, merely a stay of execution.

You can rectify this by implementing a component to UC to directly replace these premiums. It has been suggested that PIP and local councils will meet the loss of those premiums, but PIP has seen no significant increase to match the weekly loss of EDP + SDP. Also councils have not received significant extra funding to meet that shortfall nor are they obliged to meet it either.

Apparently austerity ended, yet somehow continues in an underhand manner hitting the most vulnerable the hardest. This cannot be allowed to continue (esp with no commitment to end the benefit freeze either!).

I urge you to play your part to ensure that TP is seen for the charade that it is and that an actual replacement for the lost disability premiums are put in place.

Best Regards,

xxxx

You can find your local MP here https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/

Thank you
    Last edited by grrrrrowl; 08-12-2019 at 07:44 PM.

That's a reasonable letter/email.

Remember that MP's are oficially on their holidays at the moment, so any replies may be delayed.

If you are sending it to various MP's then I suggest that you send it to Frank Field MP, the chair of the W&P Select Committee, and to the committee itself.
    (Frank is very critical of how UC is being implemented - and of disability benefit assessments, decisions, cuts, etc. in particular).

http://www.frankfield.co.uk/contact/...formation.aspx
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ee/contact-us/

PS. That spam has been reported and should have been removed; but the moderation here is particularly slow and sometimes seems non-existent.
    (On other forums where I am a moderator I've already removed 200+ spam posts and banned 6 spammers this morning alone).
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-13-2019 at 09:59 AM.

I have reported the spam too, yesterday I think it was. Well as soon as I spotted it.