Thread: UC and sanctions

UC and sanctions

Hi Everyone, just a quick question.

If you’re on UC can they sanction your Housing Element for any reason at all?

Thanks

UC sanctions are applied to your Standard Allowance.

Rate of sanction

The rate of the sanction will be 100% of your standard Universal Credit Allowance for a single person or for a couple where one person only has been sanctioned it will be 50% of the couple personal allowance.

The rate of the sanction will be reduced to 40% of this amount if:
    • You are aged 16 or 17
    • You are the carer of a child under one
    • You are pregnant and have less than 11 weeks before the baby is due
    • You have had a baby in the last 15 weeks (including if the baby was stillborn)
    • You have had an adopted child placed with you in the last 52 weeks
    • Your claimant commitment requires you to only attend work focused interviews

The rate of the sanction is reduced to nil if you have no work related requirements in your claimant commitment because you have limited capability for work and for work related activity.
    http://benefitsaware.centralenglandl...dit-sanctions/

As regards the Housing Element, it isn't stopped or reduced by any sanction - BUT:

If you reach or exceed the Benefit Cap then it is the UC Housing Element that is reduced.

(The rationale for that is because it's almost always high rents that take you above the benefit cap, so it's the HE that gets reduced to 'persuade' you to move to cheaper housng. That rationale also applies for those on legacy benefits, it's their Housing Benefit that gets affected by the benefits cap).
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad

I just read somewhere that they could sanction everything including the housing element so was a bit confused .

Timely for this question;

A Government guide to deductions from Universal Credit (including Sanctions) has just been published:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universa...-from-payments
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.