Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Dismissive Doctors And Increasing Pain

  1. #1

    Dismissive Doctors And Increasing Pain

    I have a bunch of health issues that I'm concerned about (chronic pain in my back and joints, mental health issues, possible digestive issues). But when I've gone to doctors in the past (loads of times for mental health, only a couple of times for physical stuff) almost all of them have been dismissive and unhelpful. I'm only 22, and a lot of doctors don't seem to believe that young people can have health issues.

    I am managing my mental health reasonably well on my own, but the pain is getting worse and impacts my mobility to the point that I'm nearly housebound. But I can't afford a wheelchair and doubt I'd be approved for any kind of grant to get one, since I don't have a diagnosis of anything and don't "look disabled".

    How do I make doctors take me seriously? I really can't just go back over and over again or keep going to different doctors. I can't walk to the surgery over and over again without being in a lot of pain, I don't have money for public transport (and don't know anyone who could take me in a car), and the impact on my mental health of being repeatedly dismissed is just too bad.

    I need to get a diagnosis quickly, or get a wheelchair. How do I do either (or, preferably, both)? I have no-one to help me.

  2. #2
    In my opinion all you can do is keep trying different GP's until you are seen by one who is sympathetic and will go that extra mile to help you,it took a close family member of mine 4 years to find a decent GP who would take their mental and physical health problems seriously and they are also in their twenties,the difference in treatment a patient gets from GP to GP can vary massively.

  3. #3
    Member RaspberryRipple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Somewhere, UK
    Having read your other post it’s obvious one of your main problems stems from your poor housing.
    You say you need help but have no friends and family, unyet you don’t like strangers and don’t want to let anyone in.
    It’s possible that stress is the main aggravating factor with your mental health and is having a knock on effect with your physical health.

    You are crying out for a physical diagnosis or a mobility aid and insist the doctors are wrong. Have you considered maybe they are actually right? It sounds like the first thing you need to do is speak to someone about your housing, but also get a bit of a life for yourself and go out there and meet people and make friends. Plan some nice things like going out for a coffee, go to the local library, a college course, hobby etc. Give yourself something else to concentrate your mind on. It’s ok to tell people you find it difficult to talk to strangers. You will find that they may feel exactly the same and can offer support and coping strategies that are really useful.
    I’ve lived with chronic pain for a long time and the greatest way of coping is by addressing the real cause of your own stress. If you have other distractions then the pain won’t seem as if it’s taking over. You need to take control and your perception will be altered: It’s part of my life but it doesn’t rule over my life. Tell yourself you can succeed at other things.
    I honestly wish you well and a bright future ahead.
    Last edited by RaspberryRipple; Yesterday at 07:31 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Even when you are born with physical disabilities and more added as you get older wheelchairs aren't just given and usually old ones that if you can't use arms or hands wont be any good I have conditions which mean i am limited on mobility but have been told unlikely ever get electric chair even though would mean i could get out more. If you just say to your GP that you have increased back pain that's been on going and need an xray they usually will send you for one especially if never had one but you need to be to the point and not go on about other things just talk about 1 or 2 things each time you go to GP. If you have a counsellor or doc for your mental health issues speak to them about it and they might recommend to your GP to send you to an ortho consultant or for tests. If you have financial or housing issues go to CAB and talk to them about things maybe they can give you some advise. Goodluck

Similar Threads

  1. Advice about increasing DLA
    By CautiousCarole in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2017, 06:19 PM
  2. Has anyone tried Pain Gone pain relief pen?
    By Kaff79 in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-12-2016, 09:05 AM
  3. The ever increasing disgusting effect of this internecine pantomime
    By Jard in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2015, 02:53 PM
  4. ATOS and NHS Doctors
    By wobble1 in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts