Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does PIP stop in retirement?

Does PIP stop in retirement?

I realise that this may be a silly question but after reading several different things I am a bit confused.

So, I receive PIP higher rate care and mobility. Will this stop when I reach normal retirement age?

I am confused because I read something about mobility benefit not being available to people over normal retirement age. I have also seen lots about attendance allowance for pension age adults but have not seen much about PIP.

Thanks.

Will

PIP does not stop on retirement unless you are reassessed and lose the award, in which case you can appeal.
    You cannot claim PIP after the age of 65 if it is an initial claim, that claim would have to be attendance allowance to which there is no mobility component

Thanks Beau. Nice to get that cleared up.

My husband is 68 and still gets his PIP.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiejane View Post
    My husband is 68 and still gets his PIP.
    Me too & I'm 67. Cannot increase from standard to enhanced on the mobility component though, as I found out.
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Cannot increase from standard to enhanced on the mobility component though,
    That's correct,

Once you are above State Pension Age then the mobility component of PIP can be reduced but can never be increased.

Which made it doubly important once you were a pensioner that you appealed against any reduction of the Mobility Component following a reassessment.

However as all pensioners with PIP are now on the 10-year 'Light Touch' reviews this shouldn't be as much of a problem anymore.

The 10-year 'Light Touch' review system does mean that you should push hard for the best PIP award you can get on your last reassessment before State Pension age.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

nukecad, are you saying all OAPs now will go on a ten year award now or after the next reassessment ?
    Call me Mike.

That question has now now been cleared up - and it's good news.

Once you reach State Pension Age then you are automatically on the 10-year Light Touch reviews.
    So no reassessment needed - it's your SPA that counts.

Those already above SPA should be getting a letter about that sometime, but it may be a while.

Nobody knows yet what a Light Touch Review will consist of.

Although 10-year Light Touch has been an option since the start of PIP it's not yet been 10 years since PIP started so they haven't decided what Light Touch means yet.

Thank you nukecad very much.
    Call me Mike.

If I remember (I've had a few pints) I'll post a link to to the DWP statement that confirms that.