Thread: attendance allowance and carers allowance

Question attendance allowance and carers allowance

Hi I am new to this forum so tell me if I ask anything that can not be discussed.
    My father is very ill and gets attendance allowance he is bedridden. My brother came from another country after 25yrs ..penniless and moved back home with my father.. My brother then claimed jobseekers.. he lives without any contribution to food and utility bills. my father gives him pocket money help for cooking him 1 meal a day.. My brother applied for carers for my father but my father said he doesn't care for him except 1 meal a day.. My father is 87yrs old I go to help with other personal things I am the eldest daughter, financial side of help..go to Bank etc for him..
    My father got his Bank Statement the other week, his food bills have doubled..he found out his Virgin A/c had gone up to £164.00 a month. He is also wondering if the Carers allowance my brother gets is deducted from his Attendance Allowance. He dare not confront him, he is a little frightened of him. Is there anyway he can find out if his benefit is being effected. My brother is ruling the roost so to speak. He came back to UK penniless, he now has 2 cars, 2 motorbikes, wi fi, mobiles, computers, smokes and can visit South Africa once a year to see his daughter. Basically he is living rent and cost free.. My father says he is not his carer, he does not do anything in the house. My father paid all his debts off when he came back to UK and feels he is taking rather than giving..
    Last edited by cookgeorge2; 08-16-2019 at 07:00 AM.

The Carers Allowance will not affect your fathers Attendance Allowance; but if your father also gets Pension Credit then that could be affected.

There are 2 rates of Attendance Allowance, your father should be getting one of those rates:
    £58.70 a week for the lower rate. (Usually paid as £234.80 every 4 weeks).
    £87.65 a week for the higher rate. (Usually paid as £350.60 every 4 weeks).

The rest would seem to be a clear case of bullying/abuse/taking advantage of an older person.

AgeUK have a factsheet about it, and what you can do about getting it stopped.
    It contains contact details for organisations that can help (including AgeUK themselves):
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalasset..._abuse_fcs.pdf
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

your brother sounds like the kind of incomer who gives other immigrants a bad name. He should contribute to household expenses, rent, utilities etc. He is taking advantage of your dad and bleeding him dry by the sound of it. 2 cars and 2 motorbikes won't come cheap. Virgin bill will have gone up cuz of brothers wifi use, I expect. Virgin IS expensive and theres another area big bro could contribute too. Tell him if he wants fast BB he can pay the bills. Do NOT give financial control to your bro. Seems you are the sensible one and indeed you are probably caring for dad 35 yrs a week, not your bro. Nukecad advice is sound. Folow it up