Thread: Undiagnosed dementia - What could my Uncle get?

Undiagnosed dementia - What could my Uncle get?

Hello - I am looking for help in regards to my Uncle.

My Uncle has clear dementia and we are taking him to the doctor (hopefully) this week to try and get to the bottom of this and get a diagnosis.

He is clearly in financial difficulty and is over 75 and has a part time job along with basic pension. we think it would be better if he claims some sort of disability benefit and quit his part time job. However, we are unsure which benefit he could claim due to his age.

In addition to this, he is also struggling in other areas and has been paying other bills that he shouldn't be paying.

He is entitled to the TV license as a concession as he is over 75, but has been paying at the full rate - Is it possible to get e refund on the 18 months he has been paying the full rate?

It's also become clear that he has been incurring bank charges at £6/day over a period of time and I wonder if he can get some of these refunded? I know I have been able to get some of mine refunded, but I bank with someone else and he banks with Yorkshire.

If anyone could help, that would be great.

Thank You.

The main benefit he could make a claim for at his age is Attendance Allowance.
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

You can get a refund of the TV licence to the first month after he turned 75, just apply for an over 75s licenece and they will do the rest:
    https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ52

As for the bank the best you can do is ask, they are often sympathetic; it may be best to do it in writing.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnah View Post
    Hello - I am looking for help in regards to my Uncle.

My Uncle has clear dementia and we are taking him to the doctor (hopefully) this week to try and get to the bottom of this and get a diagnosis.

He is clearly in financial difficulty and is over 75 and has a part time job along with basic pension. we think it would be better if he claims some sort of disability benefit and quit his part time job. However, we are unsure which benefit he could claim due to his age.

In addition to this, he is also struggling in other areas and has been paying other bills that he shouldn't be paying.

He is entitled to the TV license as a concession as he is over 75, but has been paying at the full rate - Is it possible to get e refund on the 18 months he has been paying the full rate?

It's also become clear that he has been incurring bank charges at £6/day over a period of time and I wonder if he can get some of these refunded? I know I have been able to get some of mine refunded, but I bank with someone else and he banks with Yorkshire.

If anyone could help, that would be great.

Thank You.
    Hi your GP will hopefully refer you to a memory clinic where an assessment will be given.
    Ask for help from Social Care, they should organise an assessment for Attendance Allowance and also may put in support if it is needed.
    Good luck! x
    Sea Queen

Depending how bad he is and what the doctor says, might be an idea to have a Power of Attorney in place so that someone can act FOR him, with utilities etc.

Yes right of attorney is important as the government can take over his affairs (they call it court of protection) having had a friend who's affairs we're put into court of protection (due to a stroke) I can tell you the only thing the court of protection protect is the governments pockets .. Get a right of attorney in place (takes 10mins in a solicitors office , it needs to be done while the person can still make the choice ! . a solicitor would need to be satisfied the client was able to make that decision before the illness becomes to severe.