Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate for advice re ESa

Desperate for advice re ESa

Hi please can someone help me, I'm very confused. Last October I received back dated payment from ESA IR. It says on letter we will not add this to any capital or savings until October 2019. I am still claiming as I get universal credit and was migrated over in November to their limited capability work group (esa support group) and still get contributions based esa. Does this mean they will write to me again or if my claim ends? I'm very unwell mentally and also have ptsd from finding my dad dead. Thank you.

For your ESA yes they would have given you a prognosis date months/ year's etc. So when that is up you may get another UC50 or they may do a paper based decision with what they currently have on you.

With the back pay they don't count it because it was their error but council tax may depends on your savings really. Under 6k you're ok over 6k it's £1 for every £250 over and over 10k you cannot get income related but your contribution amount it won't affect. Hope that helps!

The letter is simply saying that the amount that you received as backpay will not count as savings/capital for one year from when you received it.

After a year (so from October 2019) they will then count it as savings, and if it's a large amount that will then affect any Income Related benefit that you get.

So depending on just how much you now have in savings it may affect your UC - but it will not affect your CB ESA.

To say just whether or not it would affect your UC we would need to know how much you now have in savings.
    • If it's below £6,000 there will be no affect to your UC payments, but you still have to tell the DWP about it.
    • Between £6,000 and £16,000 it will reduce your UC by £4.35 a month for every £250 (or part of £250) that you have over £6,000.
    • If it's over £16,000 then UC will not be payable. (But your ESA would continue to be paid).

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Sa...iversal-Credit

PS. If your savings are above £6,000 and you were thinking of buying anything to reduce your savings then you should do it before October.
    After that anything you do to reduce any savings of over £6K will have to be justified to the DWP as 'reasonable' spending.
    (You are expected to live 'reasonably' off any savings above £6K, not just fritter/give them away and then get more in benefits).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi very confused, I rang up UC and they told me that they don't have a record of backpay and I said they must have as its the DWP that gave it to me when I was claiming ESA IR. They then said if it goes above 6k to inform them myself!
    I don't understand why they don't know as I declared my savings to be below 6k when I applied for UC and it still is?

Also, I don't know if it makes sense but whn I applied for UC my ESA IR support element went over to UC with a prognosis of May 2020, so re the capital does it still get ignored till then or October.

I really am confused. Thanks

Your backpayment letter said that it would be disregarded until October 2019, so that is what you have to go by.
    The actual date in October should have been given on the letter.

So after that date in October 2019 any savings that you now have above £6K, including that backpayment, will be counted for any/all Income Related benefits - which includes UC.

If your savings, including that backpayment, are below £6k anyway then it's irrelevant and you don't have to tell them.

If your savings, including that backpayment, are above £6k after that date in October then you have to tell them so.
    If you don't then they will be overpaying UC and will want it back later. (And you may face a charge/penalty for not telling them).

PS. UC will not have a record of an ESA backpayment, (or any other ESA payments) - they will only have records of UC payments.

Hi, thank you. Definitely under 6k, only 3k now. So basically after oct 29th if for some reason I went above 6k to let them know otherwise OK as I am or will DWP write to me (sorry, I need help with forms) and ask me? the other person said about the prognosis date due in May for medical review so I get into a tiswas! Sorry
    Last edited by Nayia; 09-01-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Yes that's correct, unless you go above £6k then you don't have to tell them unless they ask.

The prognosis date is just when you are due for your next assessment, so expect an ESA50 round about March.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Sorry, are they going to write to me then?

Quote Originally Posted by Nayia View Post
    Sorry, are they going to write to me then?
    As said you'll get an ESA50 round about March.

Whether they will write to you about savings is anybodys guess, if they do then just tell them how much you have in savings.