Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre paid debit cards

Pre paid debit cards

hi (this is not spam) .
    i have noticed lately some people on here are worried about being TRACKED through there bank statements?.
    what i mean is transactions on your bank statement showing your "lifestyle" ??.
    well MASTERCARD do TOP UP cards that you can use just like your bank card , for contactless payments or paying for stuff online , theses cards can be topped up at a post office using CASH.
    i would just like to point out its LEGAL , mastercard are the only ones ive looked at so far as they seem to be the front runners in this .
    some of there PRE PAY cards DO need I.D but some dont , this can restrict the amount you can top up at anyone time in cash but you will have to GOOGLE pre paid mastercards to find the card and its functions that suit you..
    i do hundreds of transactions on my natwest account (mostly contactless coffee or shopping) which is filling up my account .
    so ive decided to draw £250 cash out and top up a mastercard so i can "clean up " my natwest bank statement.
    so all my account will have on it is DWP payments coming in and rent (standing order) and cash going out , all my other transactions will be done on a NO ID pre paid mastercard .
    as ive said at this moment im doing nothing wrong just not allowing the world to see how i spend my money .

Sounds a bit of a faff. (And there are monthly charges, and other charges, for using such a card).
    https://www.money.co.uk/prepaid-cards.htm

There is an alternative if you want to keep your daily spending seperate from you bills.

Simply open another bank account (either with the same bank or with another) for your daily expenses.
    Have your money paid into the main account to have your bills taken from it, and set up a Standing Order to transfer so much into the daily expenses account.

I used to do that when I was working.
    Wages were paid into a savings account that allowed DD's, etc. for the bills, and then a Standing Order put so much each week into my current account with the same bank for my daily usage.
    (Other than bills and that SO to my current account the savings account was not touched and it soon built up a healthy balance).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

ive found a few"free"pre paid cards but it all depends what you want to use it for .. the trouble with bank accounts is they keep records and having a bank account means credit agencys and some goverment agents can view your "lifestyle"..
    i had a chap who lived next to me he was a goverment investigator , if anyone reported you it was his job to look at your account activity ..

In my opinion the best PrePaid Card you can get is at https://www.cashplus.com/ 100% Acceptance and you get your own Bank Account Number along with Sort Code. It is the ONLY PrePaid Card that gives you them same protection on goods bought over £100, as Credits Cards.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    In my opinion the best PrePaid Card you can get is at https://www.cashplus.com/ 100% Acceptance and you get your own Bank Account Number along with Sort Code. It is the ONLY PrePaid Card that gives you them same protection on goods bought over £100, as Credits Cards.
    hi kodak , it dosnt say about if its free or what fees may apply? . do you know ? . it does say you can top it up in cash at post office , what i would be inclined to do is use it for transactions and keep my current natwest account for DWP payments and paying my rent , all other transactions done through a pre paid card and i would change the card every 3 years ..
    anyone looking at my natwest account would see DWP payments coming in and rent going out along with cash withdraws at ATM machines ware lifestyle trail would end ..

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    the trouble with bank accounts is they keep records and having a bank account means credit agencys and some goverment agents can view your "lifestyle"
    What makes you think that card companies don't keep records?
    Even with a pre-paid card they know (and record) when you use it, what you have spent, and where.
    Such information is valuable these days.

What makes you think that the DWP can't access those records?
    They have the same authourity as they have to access bank accounts.

they do keep records but they operate differently and dont require a signiture so it would be difficult in law to say whos been operating it .
    they are also outside the remit of credit checking agencys , i would only have one from any 1 provider for a year or 2 then open another , (there are lots of providers).
    the other thing that makes them of intrest to me is i do 95% of my transactions using contactless , contactless payments are cluttering my natwest account so this way if i look at my account it will just show my incoming payments and a few £250 cash withdraws going out .
    the fact that im using that cash to top up a pre paid debitcard is not illegal it would just not be visible to anyone who i had to produce bank records to.
    in the not to distant future the goverment may pass legislation that people having a WCA bring with them there last 3months of bank statements , in some cases the bank statement may tell a different lifestyle than the claiment , it will not probally effect me as im a lot older than some but the age of your right to ANY privicy will end .

here is a totally free one with no charges (this may not have every feature you require) https://www.revolut.com/aff/1450260_...i&ext=1450260_

Of course you could simply use the £250 that you draw out to pay for things with cash.

Then there will be no records at all of what you've spent it on.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Of course you could simply use the £250 that you draw out to pay for things with cash.

Then there will be no records at all of what you've spent it on.
    yes but i havnt used cash in years nuke (forgott how to count) i think the future is contactless and it saves all that change and your hands smell of copper ..
    did you know there is more bacteria on money than a toilet seat?.
    contactless makes sence ..