Thread: warm home discount scheme.

warm home discount scheme.

Have just got a letter from our energy supplier as we were eligible for this last year but on checking this years eligibility we find we don't qualify. Last year my husband was getting long term IB and IS but now he gets ESA contribution based (wrag)and you only qualify if its income related. I've also had a look at the £25 cold weather payments and we no longer qualify for those for the same reasons!!
    My husbands disability hasn't changed,only got worse, its just the name of the benefit that has changed.How can this be right?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyann View Post
    Have just got a letter from our energy supplier as we were eligible for this last year but on checking this years eligibility we find we don't qualify. Last year my husband was getting long term IB and IS but now he gets ESA contribution based (wrag)and you only qualify if its income related. I've also had a look at the £25 cold weather payments and we no longer qualify for those for the same reasons!!
    My husbands disability hasn't changed,only got worse, its just the name of the benefit that has changed.How can this be right?
    its to save money

vikstar
    As your husband was previously in receipt of IB with an IS top-up, are you sure that he is not now in receipt of CB ESA with an IR ESA top-up, as that would be the equivalent.

Yes he does get a IR top up but I didn't think this was the same.Thanks for putting me right Vikstar, shall fill in the form and see what happens.

vikstar
    Yes he does get a IR top up but I didn't think this was the same.Thanks for putting me right Vikstar, shall fill in the form and see what happens.
    Yes, just as even if you only received a penny of IS top-up, it would passport you to other benenfits such as full HB, CTB, free prescriptions, and dental care, the same applies if you receive any amount of IR ESA top-up, even a penny.

Also, because he receives an IR ESA top up to his CB ESA in the WRAG, he will continue to be paid after the 365 day entitlement to CB ESA in the WRAG has been exhausted, for as long as he is assessed as still qualifying for WRAG, and your personal circumstances, household income, savings and assets don't change wherein you would not pass the IR ESA means test, or would no longer be entitled to the IR ESA top-up for any other reason.

Don't forget to make it clear from now on, that your husband is in receipt of IR ESA, when filling in prescriptions or any other forms.
    Last edited by vikstar; 30-11-12 at 18:41.

Thanks for the help Vikstar, you have made things a lot clearer for me

Just looking at this again I see that as well as IR ESA you also have to be in receipt of disability or severe disability premium.Again with income support we used to get this now we don't.

Is it me or am I am missing something.

vikstar
    Just looking at this again I see that as well as IR ESA you also have to be in receipt of disability or severe disability premium.Again with income support we used to get this now we don't.

Is it me or am I am missing something.
    People get mixed up regarding disability premiums, which a claimant may be entitled to if in receipt of Middle or Higher Rate Care of DLA.
    The premiums in themselves are not a "Benefit" what they actually do is increase the amount that the Government says that you need to live on. Therefore, your income is means tested and if you fall below this extra weekly amount that the Government say that you need to live on, you are paid "Disability Premiums" to top it up to that level. For people still on IB, this would be done in the form of an IS top-up, for people on CB ESA, which is what IB recipients would be transferred to, the premiums would be paid in the form of an IR ESA top-up. So, your IR ESA top up, has replaced your IS top-up.

If your husband is still in receipt of Middle or Higher Rate Care of DLA, and your household income, savings and assets have not increased, then he is still in receipt of The Disability Premiums.
    Last edited by vikstar; 05-12-12 at 17:06.

Thank you again Vikstar, I just find this all so confusing.My husband gets CB ESA with IR top up (wrag),DLA MRC and HRM.
    I will get my head round it all, just in time for the next lot of changes !!