Thread: Changing car while being Pipped. Can you help?

Question Changing car while being Pipped. Can you help?

Ok so my 5 year lease is almost at an end and my new WAV is being ordered in the next few days as it’s a DFW WAV it’s going to take several months to build.
    DWP said via phone call today that my “indefinite DLA” technically will end sometime in November. Which seems fair enough.
    My PIP forms were only returned on Monday.
    I’m not concerned at all about getting EM PIP as I can’t wait bear and use a powerchair full time.

However I wonder if my car order will go ahead or if I’ll have to wait a few weeks/months till my Pip result?
    The garage were very understanding and when I explained they asked if I’d been assessed yet which obviously I haven’t. They asked for a copy of a proof on benefit letter so I sent a recent one for DLA but it doesn’t say I’ve been Pipped. The timing is unfortunate to say the least.
    I’ll let you know what happens.

Any experiences/ thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I changed from DLA to PIP in November 17 and as it happens my then current car lease would have ended in November 17. With that in mind it meant my next car was going to be ordered in August 17 for November delivery but one week before I could order the new car I had the change letter from DWP.

You must inform Motability you’ve had the letter and I was then not able to order a new car so what happens is you keep the car you’ve got, or WAV in your case, until you transitioned to PIP has been successful then you order your new car/WAV. Not sure what happens if you’ve already ordered a new one but assume they cancel it or put it on hold.

In my case I was not successful or should say, not successful getting HR PIP because like we disabled folk do, we like to think were more capable than we really are and end story was I had to go to tribune and won the maximum time of 10 years before review but to be 100% sure I remained mobile I bought my Motability car partly subsidised by the £2,000 handshake.

I re-joined Motability after 6 months had passed and sold the car I bought off Motability because it was no longer suitable for my disability or should I say, not suitable for my ageing carer wife who’d been struggling to lift my scooter in the boot of the car.

For you I think everything will be fine but you may just have to keep your current car a few months longer than usual.
    Last edited by ChrisK; 09-04-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks for sharing your story Chris. I’m so sorry you had the hassle with HR pip.
    Glad it got sorted in the end and you got the correct level. Hope they gave you all the back pay.

I have spoken to Motability and explained I have only just this week sent back my pip form.
    They seemed to think the fact my DLA was indefinite would make a difference but told me to advise the garage.

I spoken to them and they said the question they need to ask at the time of ordering is “Have you been assessed yet?”
    I told them no and explained as I did to Motability.
    They said they would still go ahead with the order and it would be up to DWP to flag up any issues.

I am fully expecting there to be a delay now until my PIP results come through which may take weeks or months.

I’ll definitely let you know what happens in the meantime with the order and if there are any hiccups.

Many thanks once again.

Hi Rasy
    ChrisK is spot on with his reply to your post. There is an excellent forum called Which Mobility Car Forum that is really good with questions like yours. Maybe take a look and join us.
    In the mean time good luck with your PIP migration.

Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
    Hi Rasy
    ChrisK is spot on with his reply to your post. There is an excellent forum called Which Mobility Car Forum that is really good with questions like yours. Maybe take a look and join us.
    In the mean time good luck with your PIP migration.
    Thanks that’s fantastic info I’ll check it out.
    I’ll let you know how I get on with PIP.
    Last edited by RaspberryRipple; 09-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.