Thread: LCWRA is this true? Help please :)

LCWRA is this true? Help please :)

Good morning all!
    Just a quick one.
    I started claiming UC on June 10th 2019.
    Since then I provided sick notes and was waiting to apply for LCWRA. I sent my application/questionnaire off in July and got awarded it on August 13th (without having to go for assessment). I messaged my case handler and they mentioned that I WON'T get any back payment and I will receive my first payment (LCWRA) in October's payment of UC.
    They said I have to wait 91days in order to receive the first payment. I'm just wondering, is this true (that I won't get backpaid) and if so, why? I've not been able to work and was wondering why it wouldn't be backpaid from the day I applied for UC? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliP View Post
    Good morning all!
    Just a quick one.
    I started claiming UC on June 10th 2019.
    Since then I provided sick notes and was waiting to apply for LCWRA. I sent my application/questionnaire off in July and got awarded it on August 13th (without having to go for assessment). I messaged my case handler and they mentioned that I WON'T get any back payment and I will receive my first payment (LCWRA) in October's payment of UC.
    They said I have to wait 91days in order to receive the first payment. I'm just wondering, is this true (that I won't get backpaid) and if so, why? I've not been able to work and was wondering why it wouldn't be backpaid from the day I applied for UC? Thank you
    Have you transferred from ESA to UC for any reason?

If this is your first claim since you became poorly then the LCWRA is not awarded in your UC until after an assessment period of 91 days as you have been told.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...1568/admf5.pdf

Scroll down to F5030

This is the same if you were claiming ESA - there is an assessment period of 3 months before the LCWRA element starts being paid.
    I try my best

Yes it's true I didn't get any backpay,I had to wait 3 weeks after I was awarded LCWRA for my money to go up because I got my award after about 70 days(not having a f2f doesn't make any difference)
    Last edited by Toby123; 09-09-2019 at 10:44 AM.

If this is a new UC claim and not a migration from a previous ESA award then there is a waiting period before a LCWRA element is payable.
    It's similar to the waiting period for an ESA group to be payable.

It's slightly more complicated with UC and can be anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks depending on just when in your monthly UC period you started providing fit notes.
    And then it's included starting with that month, and paid at the end of the month.
    Which means you first get it in the 5th payment after you started providing fit notes.

I explained how it works for another member yesterday (who also first sent fit notes in June), see this post:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post165804

Also take a look at post #4 there where I explain it with dates for that particular member.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-09-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yeha in my thread he explained it in clear details, which really helps. I was hoping I will get it this month... But its next month.. Any way one month won't make much of a difference, and rules are rules

Fresh claims wait 91 days before any LWCRA is added but if you already had a support group award from a WCA whilst on ESA and you have now applied for UC then you are entitled to the LWCRA from start of new LWCRA / UC claim , so you will get backdated payments once they have processed your claim

I was put on a work and health group just before my 1st sick note in june.. Does that make any difference

I'm not sure where people are getting this "91 days" from?

With UC is is not a set period but can vary. (ESA was a set 13 weeks).

The rule is that it's 3 full UC monthly periods, starting after the period in which you first supply evidence of Limited Capability.

It's actually stated the other way round in the legislation, but it's easier to explain that way and means the same.
    (The legislation says the period that starts 3 full monthly periods after you first hand in evidence).

So depending just where you are in your monthly UC period when you first supply evidence of limited capability that can be anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks before the LCWRA element starts to be included, and then another month before you actually see the extra money.

So it's even easier to simply say the money for LCWRA starts being paid in the 5th payment after you first provided evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I was put on a work and health group just before my 1st sick note in june.. Does that make any difference
    No that's simply what your work coach gave you as a Claimant Commitment, so that you wouldn't be asked to jobsearch whilst waiting for the limited capability decision to be made.

the 91 days (or not) is a side issue , the issue is those who have moved over from ESA/SG automaticly get LWCRA from start of UC claim (added with backdated at some point) .
    people making a "fresh" UC claim for LWCRA (may not) recieve LWCRA from date of first sick note ?. (the period from date of first sick note (91 days or 3months) is the period i believe DSS dont count in there UC payments?)