Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA50 Form received today

ESA50 Form received today

Hi All,

Hope someone can advise below...

Back in 2017 I applied for my daughter's ESA (she was 17yrs then) and then filled in a ESA50a form after which they continued to pay her the ESA benefit up to the present data - I think she is in the WRAG group.

She recently turned 20yrs, and is now doing a different Level 1 course at college (she did a level one and then a level 2 (difficult) ) course the previous two academic years as she found the previous subject difficult.

Today, she received an ESA50 form to be completed and sent off - I do not remember or have a copy of the previous ESA50 form which means she probably did not get one and was sent the ESA50a form instead and was never called for a face-to-face assessment.

She is still receiving the PIP benefit since 2016, both at Enhanced rates.

Therefore, can anyone please explain why I have been sent the ESA50 form - is this to trigger a new ESA claim or a review?

Thank you.

It will be a review.

ESA awards do not end, they are always 'ongoing' with no end date.

But they are reviewed to see if you still qualify for ESA.
    How often depends on what the last review said.

Two years is probably about right (in their eyes) for a first review.
    Hopefully this review will give a longer time until the next one.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Nukecad,

As before, thank you for the good information.

Does that mean that they can call her for a face-to-face if they need to?

Also, I have her new reports from learning support at college so shall I send these with the form as well as a copy of the PIP statement letter confirming that she is receiving PIP as well until Feb 2021?

Thanks

As things stand they will always call everyone to a face to face interview.

Then once they send you an appointment date you have to tell them, with doctors evidence, why that is not going to happen.

It's not right but that's the way it is.

When they send an appointment at one of their centres you need to reply that your daughter needs a paper based assessment ( or a home assessmen) under the provisions of-

"The Equalities Act 2010"

Quote that act, it usually does the job.

Nukecad

Thanks for the information.

If I say I want a paper-based assessment or home visit, then can they not say that how is she managing to attend college?

The only risk with paper-based assessment is that she might not get all the points required?

Thanks
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmb786 View Post
    If I say I want a paper-based assessment or home visit, then can they not say that how is she managing to attend college?
    Yes they can, and TBH it is a reasonable question.

If you can attend a WCA at their assessment centre then you are expected to do so.
    You can't just say that you would prefer not to, there has to be 'good reason' to have a home or paper assessment.

If there is some reason as to why she can attend college but couldn't attend a F2F assessment then you would have to make that reason very clear, and supply evidence to back it up.

There again as she wasn't called for one last time it shows that what you sent then (ESA50/evidence) was sufficent that they didn't need to do one.
    If you send the same level of evidence again they may simply do a paper one again.

Sorry, I do not know how to start a new thread. I have requested a MR as I did not attend the ESA assessment in May. I was being re-assessed. I have not claimed anything since then. Do I need to send a fit note from the GP to cover me since May when I was found fit for work? The DWP have accepted the request for a MR.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Yes they can, and TBH it is a reasonable question.

If you can attend a WCA at their assessment centre then you are expected to do so.
    You can't just say that you would prefer not to, there has to be 'good reason' to have a home or paper assessment.

If there is some reason as to why she can attend college but couldn't attend a F2F assessment then you would have to make that reason very clear, and supply evidence to back it up.

There again as she wasn't called for one last time it shows that what you sent then (ESA50/evidence) was sufficent that they didn't need to do one.
    If you send the same level of evidence again they may simply do a paper one again.
    Hi Nukecad,

Last time I sent in the ESA50a form along with the evidence - this time its the ESA50 they have sent so can I send the same copies of the evidence again along with any additional new supporting evidence I have just to show that it is an ongoing disability that my daughter has?

Thanks

Yes, do that.
    They say that they don't want to see anything more than 2-years old but ignore that.
    There is no legal basis for it at all, it's simply an attempt to make you weaken your case.
    If you send something then they have a duty to consider it.

Leo12;
    Quick answer is yes get fit notes, but you can hold onto them for now.
    I'll give a longer answer, including how to start a new thread, when I get back to a computer rather than my phone.

Thanks nukecad - will do that.