Thread: How long do people keep their WAV for? (And power steering issue)

How long do people keep their WAV for? (And power steering issue)

I have a wheelchair accessible vehicle, which I drive by doing an internal transfer. It was 5 years old in April and I have extended it for 2 years (seemingly Motability will allow you to extend it up to 9 years). However, because I am no longer in the original 5 year term, I can change my mind at any time.

Meanwhile, I am now beginning to struggle slightly with the power steering being too heavy. I can still safely drive the car but at times it just feels heavier than I would like. Anyway, eventually had my driving assessment last week and the occupational therapist agreed that I need the power steering lightened. I had a test drive of a Ford B Max. The therapist thinks their car has been lightened to about 15 pounds (she asked the company to reduce it to 10 pounds and even after 2 attempts in her opinion they have only brought down to 15 pounds). Anyway, we agreed that it was a bit too light for me and that I should aim to get my steering lightened to about 20 pounds.

Now, I believe I have 2 options:-
    lighting the steering on my current car
    go for a new car - advanced payment of at least 21K

If I go for a new car, a Volkswagen Caddy again, seemingly, Volkswagen can lighten the power steering up to 50% using a software update (only available on Volkswagen under 3 years old).

Obviously, it will be cheaper to adapt my character, however, there are other factors to consider.

My cars are funded by myself with help from access to work. I usually manage to get access to work to come up with a formula roughly based on the number of days I work in the office. For the past few years, I have been going into the office 5 days a week. It's a long story, but this might have to change in the future. Firstly, I am getting increasingly tired and might have reduce my hours at some point. Secondly, my walking arrangements are unusual to say the least. I start work at home and then head into the office about mid-morning. Because of this, I get to travel in work time. Long story but this has evolved over many years. Last year this was brought up-no one else gets to do this so you cannot. At the moment my manager is sitting on it-10 months on no one is pushing him to do anything. Sorry for being long-winded but there is a point to this. It's as possible that I might have to work now from home, which could result in less help from access to work. A possible reason to go for a new car sooner rather than later.

The other problem I have at the moment is, in order to make my mind up, I really would like to test drive a Volkswagen with lightened power steering. My understanding is that power steering amended by say 25% mechanically, is lighter than 25% software. Therefore, it seems sensible to ask for a test drive first. The company that supplied my current car, has a demonstrator with the power steering lightened by 50%. However, they are very reluctant to give me a test drive. At the moment they are only offering it if they are in my area with that vehicle. I think I need that test drive in order to make a decision.

Any thoughts/advice?

I hear what you're saying but it doesn't help me. I need the steering lightened. I am beginning to struggle with it. As far as I can see, not doing anything is not an option for me.

I am not a fast driver. 45-50 even on the A9, slightly slower when it's windy because of the reasons you state. Fortunately, I only have to drive about 2 miles on the A9. I only drive between my village and the nearest town. If I ever had to go further then I need someone to drive me.

I would be interested to hear what vehicle you are getting next. I do not fancy driving from my wheelchair, so I transfer to the driver seat. As far as I'm aware, there is only one option for me-only one company that I know of does an internal transfer Volkswagen Caddy. Yes, there are other companies that do internal transfer, but only bigger vehicles that I don't think I could handle.

Thanks