Thread: Claiming CB ESA and PIP going on UC.

Claiming CB ESA and PIP going on UC.

Hello

Im new here. Im currently claiming CB ESA SG(although waiting to hear back after sending reassessment form back) and PIP standard rate care only. My husband is giving up work to look after me as my health has deteriorated. He will be claiming Carers allowance. We live in a area that is full service UC. We currently claim tax credits our award is £0 due to the wages my husband earned.

I dont know the ins and outs of UC just that it replaced some benefits. I know we will have to claim it as wont be entitled to housing benefit. We wont get very much in tax credits, we have already spoken with them and what they would give us wouldnt be enough, we would need to claim income support as well but thats now UC. We have done the benefit calculators that are on the website and each give a different amount.

I have been on ESA CB SG for 7 years. I transfered to PIP SRC last year from DLA MRC/LRM.

Will I have to go over to new style ESA within UC or stay on current CB ESA? Will I need to fill in a new form, I really hope not having just filled one in.

How long does the whole process take? Will hub need to have his P45 before he can claim CA? We have a 7 year old child as well.

This is stressing me out and I cant find all the info I need.

Thanks

Just to add I sent the ESA reassessment form back 7th August and now waiting for F2F. I dont know how long their waiting times are atm. Its the first one since 2013. My health problems are mental health related and am under a mental health team.

Your CB ESA and your PIP will remain outside of UC, I'll explain a bit more how it works below.

It will still be 'Old Style' CB ESA; 'New Style' CB ESA is only for brand new claims.

If your partner makes a claim for Carers Allowance that also stays outside of UC, but again see below.

Any premiums that you get with ESA (you probably don't get any if you had a working partner) are IR ESA and will migrate into UC, but as you say that you are going to be claiming UC for housing costs (rent) then that will happen anyway.

Working Tax credits would be migrated into UC. (But those would stop if he gave up working anyway).
    Child Tax Credits are also migrated into UC, and you get extra UC if you have children.

The way it all works:
    Your CB ESA will be £111.65 a week and will still be paid fortnightly.
    Your PIP will still be paid 4-weekly.
    Carers Allowance, if claimed, will be paid either weekly or 4 weekly.
    Your UC (including a LCWRA element, a child element, a housing element, and a carer element) will be paid monthly.

The payments that you get for CB ESA will then be deducted from the UC payment. (But not the PIP, that doesn't get deducted).
    BUT your UC will include an extra amount for your being unable to work (its called the LCWRA element).
    You will not need a new work capability assessment, the assessment you have already had for ESA will be carried into UC.

If your partner claims CA for looking after you then that would also be deducted from the UC - BUT:
    UC will then also include an extra amount for your partner caring for you, (that's called the carer element).
    You don't need to have CA to get the UC carer element, you just have to show that your are caring for 35 hours a week.
    Having CA, and/or the carer element of UC, will also mean that he will not be expect to look for work under the UC Claimant Commitment.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Ca...iversal-Credit

If you want to claim CA then he can make a claim for it now, no need to wait.

Just a few thing to note:
    If you have savings or capital (not including your home) of above £16,000 then you will not be able to claim UC.
    If you have savings or capital of between £6,000 and £16,000 then you will be able to claim UC but it will be reduced.

There is also a question of if your are renting from a Housing Association/council or renting privately.
    That can affect just how much you can be paid for your rent.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer, please ask again if it's not.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-15-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hello

Thats amazing thank you, it does make things alot clearer.

We are renting from the council. We also get the 25% council tax discount due to my mental health. We dont have any savings or capital.

My husband hasnt given his notice in yet at work, that will happen in 2 weeks. Due to his job being full time Im guessing he wouldnt be able to claim CA until hes given notice? He currently is on leave.

We will put in a claim for UC when he puts in a CA claim. My husbands final wages will I can imagine mess with UC award at first, he'll have a payment on 28th Sept and 28th Oct (this one being significantly less).

Do you know if there is a current delay with ESA reassessments? I know its not been too long since I sent the form back (7th Aug) Im still having payments from ESA so Im guessing they got the form (I made the mistake of not sending it back recorded) Im too scared to ring them up and find out,

Many Thanks

That all sounds fine.

As you rent from the council then all your rent should be covered by UC.

Council tax I don't know because every council has different rules.

He can put in a claim for CA now, but UC will have to wait until he is no longer working.
    As you say his final wages are probably going to mess about with starting the UC payments.
    Giving notice may also be a problem, you need to make it very clear to the DWP that this is because he is no longer able to work because of becoming your carer.
    Which is another reason why claiming CA now will be a good idea.

Sorry but I don't know the current timescales for ESA reassessmens, they do publish time figures for new claims but don't include reassessments.

Just wanted to update.

I sent off my ESA reassessment form on the 7th august on friday 28th sept i received the dreaded brown envelope. I am staying in the support group, i got this without a F2F!! So relieved to say the least.

I am thinking of doing a part time course at college, an evening class twice a week for 22 weeks, will this likely go against me do you know? I'm currently on PIP standard care only. Also can carers come on college courses too, just to be there with me, or is that individual to the college. Thanks

Good to hear that you got SG on a paper assessment.

Doing a course shows willing to try and maybe get back to working.

As you have only just got a new award then I wouldn't think 22 weeks is going to impact on any reassessment which is probably a few years off anyway.

For the rest you would have to talk with the college, but they are usually very keen to help and give support.