Thread: Would appreciate some help on how to start mandatory reconsideration letter

Would appreciate some help on how to start mandatory reconsideration letter

Hi everyone, I had my f2f for pip on the 12th August, finally plucked up the courage to ring for the assessment report last Monday and received it on Thursday, I've been awarded 0 Points for anything, which came as no great surprise to me, the same as my changeover from dla to pip 3 years ago which went all the way to tribunal.
    So as I have the assessment report I'm still currently waiting for my decision letter to deny me of a pip award, I thought I would start preparing a mandatory reconsideration, but I'm at a complete loss as to where to start.
    How should I begin my letter?
    Should I suggest the descriptors I believe I should've have scored?
    And then go on to explain my reasoning for this?
    On the report it continuely states I've have good insight to my mental health diagnosis should I address this explaining I've been living with this condition for 18years? So its no great surprise that I know what my condition is?
    It also states about me not have any mental health input, which is true, but that is because on and off for the last 18 years I've received counselling, psychotherapy, group therapy, one 2 one therapy, exposure therapy, and after the last bout of group therapy my gp decided to give me a break from it as it was not having much affect on me, and she has set up a community hub with other Dr's etc that runs once a month which I can access whenever I feel I can manage it and I also have open access to mental health services in my area where I can self refer to.
    Should I try to see my gp to see what she thinks in respect to the pip descriptors I believe I qualify under and see if she can give a more detailed report to add to my mandatory reconsideration?
    I'm really sorry for the long winded post and asking so many questions, but I really want to have a good strong mandatory reconsideration and the best possible chance of success, before I have to ready myself for a possible tribunal again. I really appreciate any help or advice from anybody who has gone through this.
    Last edited by Shellyj; 09-30-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Can anybody help with any advice please.

Hi Shellyj, first of all they are not interested in your opinion on what you feel you should be awarded points wise or where they got it wrong, when it came to my parents letter as e went through this at the beginning of the year I concentrated on his daily routines, and history (appointments, medication changes, etc). Now this detailed report of history and daily routine didn’t change there minds in our case but when it came to the tribunal it gave them all the information they needed so called on the day making a offer so we didn’t have to attend the hearing

Thank you maz for your reply, sorry for being nosey, when you say you concentrated on daily routines etc, did you do a diary based thing to show a typical day? Please tell me to mind my own business if you don't want to answer

I found this on another site, might be helpful.

If you think you should get a higher award you should do an MR. Here you must list the Activities you are appealing in order as they appear. Under each Activity, write which Descriptor you should get and Points. You now need to give a detailed description as to why you should score those points pointing to any medical evidence you have. Then move onto the next Activity in order, and repeat the above.

Also get statements from Family and Friends who can describe what help they give you or what help they have witnessed someone giving you. It must all come under the Descriptors to be awarded any points.

MR should be like this.

I wish to have a Mandatory Reconsideration for my PIP Benefit. I believe the Assessor has not understood just how much I am affected. I list the Activities below I wish to be looked at again.

DAILY LIVING ACTIVITIES

1. Preparing food.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.
    I come under this Descriptor as I cannot stand long enough to cook and I need to use a perching stool. Without sitting down I would not be able to cook at all.
    Then point to any medical evidence to support it.

Now onto next Activity.

But try give as much detail as possible. Describe how you feel etc.

You can find a full list of Descriptors and Points here:-
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Gl...and-points.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Shellyj View Post
    Thank you maz for your reply, sorry for being nosey, when you say you concentrated on daily routines etc, did you do a diary based thing to show a typical day? Please tell me to mind my own business if you don't want to answer
    It’s fine, like posted above I concentrated on his general day to day and included some history to show how it had changed so for my partner he no longer goes out where before he was able to due to having smoking as some distraction, general appetite, mood, so yes a bit like a log or report in a sense