Thread: Doctors Letter (ESA)

Doctors Letter (ESA)

I have an esa assessment coming up in October,so i went to my GP to ask for a letter regarding my health problems,she told me it would cost £30, it has been a long time since i went to my GP,but she wrote out a letter quite a while back and i was not charged.
    And i asked for a copy of a letter from a pain management doctor and she couldn't find it on the system,so a pretty pointless appointment,i don't want to fork out 30 quid for my own medical history.

I also sent a couple of medical documents in with my ES50 form,will the medical assessor have those documents on the day of my assessment.

Cheers.

They are allowed to charge for creating a new letter.

However there is a different free route that you can use, it doesn't give you a new supporting letter but does give you stuff you may be able to use (including the PM letter she couldn't find).
    These could be handy if you later have to MR/appeal.

Make a 'Right of Access' request (also call a Subject Access Request) to the practice/surgery for a full copy of your records (or just for the parts that you want).
    They must supply these within 30 days of receiving your request, by law they should not charge for supplying them. (Although some still try to charge).
    Being medical information they can refuse to give something that may be harmful to your health if you saw it.
    See this which also contains a template letter: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...ght-of-access/

The assessor should have a copy of everything that you sent with the ESA50.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-01-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

That's very helpful,thank you,i did send a copy of the pain management letter in with my ES50,but have misplaced the original copy,hence the GP visit,but it's good to know that the assessor will have the copy i sent,thanks again.

Stephen.

Ive never sent a letter from my Doc. Every time I have asked him he says there is no need because the DWP will write and ask him anyway dont know if thats correct but Ive had no real problems with it anyway plus it saves 30 quid!

It’s up to you whether you decide it’s worth paying. Personally I’m very glad I did! I ended up having a paper based assessment and got put straight into the support group. However, just because you have the letter it’s not a guarantee of no medical.

Dr's letters are often pointless and regularly do not help at all. A Dr is not allowed to write what you tell them, they can only write what they know is true and have seen for themselves. So if you need help to do things, the Dr cannot write about it unless they have seen you do it.