Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this what we are all seen as?

Post Is this what we are all seen as?

After the fallout of the Autumn Budget issued by Osbourne, i was watching early news where he attacked all those on benefits describing in his own words that we were all 'Freckless Workshy'

What got me more annoyed than anything was after watching a documentary in which a young man was involved in a R.T. abroad in which he had to spend several weeks in hospital and undergo 4 operations and when flown back to the UK had to go yet more operations.

This guys total recovery time was well in to 18 months to which he had to rely on benefits.

So why is it that this government esp the Cons along with others have such hatred now to anyone who is claiming benefits who are in some very poor situations and circumstances?

i find it an appalling situation that many of us are born with disabilities through no fault of our own or are injured (which could happen to anyone) even made redundant and are then attacked and described as nothing more than 'Freckless Workshy'

I know what you mean its terrible, i was born with my disability, its never going to get any better or improve in anyway, more likely to get worse as I age. I do work, but i still feel like a 2nd class citzen and feel judged constantly. i claim DLA but under PIP I doubt i'll qualify for anything, yet without my car i coluldn't get to work and be claiming out of work benefits! Before casting aspersions they need to spend the day in our shoes. I recently wrote to both Cameron and Osbourne neither of them replied, i sent the same correspondance to my MP and got a bog standard political reply. "We are all in this together" personally I think Not!!

Quote Originally Posted by hemiman View Post
    I know what you mean its terrible, i was born with my disability, its never going to get any better or improve in anyway, more likely to get worse as I age. I do work, but i still feel like a 2nd class citzen and feel judged constantly. i claim DLA but under PIP I doubt i'll qualify for anything, yet without my car i coluldn't get to work and be claiming out of work benefits! Before casting aspersions they need to spend the day in our shoes. I recently wrote to both Cameron and Osbourne neither of them replied, i sent the same correspondance to my MP and got a bog standard political reply. "We are all in this together" personally I think Not!!
    Several months ago I wrote to Ian Duncan Smith, but received a letter, not from him of course but his secretary, with spiel about PIP. Nothing i asked got answered and was typical Tory BS. All the letter said was how great PIP was going to be and how it will change the lives of disabled people. It was a load of rubbish.

The worst part of all is that this disgracefull discrimination is coming from politicians which then makes the media and then the public believe that it is ok to talk about poeple on ANY benefit as worthless scroungers.
    It is directly responsible for the huge increase in hate crime towards disabled/sick people on benefits.
    I find it unreal that such discrimination is allowed in the first place, can you imagine if the Govt used such vile discriptors about other groups of people or individuals.
    GGGGRRRRRRR

Re The letter that CTCELT88 wrote to IDS.

Well they were right in two ways: 1. PIP is going to be great - For the condems to save money. 2. It will change the lives of disabled people - Just not in a good way.

They say we are in this together but they just have different definitions of what THIS is depending on whether your rich or poor.
    Last edited by galeforce81; 07-12-12 at 13:54.

Senior Member ***Force_Majeure_007***'s Avatar
    I posted the following comment on this site on 09-02-2012 09:24 PM 3 months ago I said what the government were planning! Most, if not all responses on that thread were geared towards disabled people wanting equality, now that disabled people aren't going to get any 'special treatment' but will get 'equality' now we're being 'discriminated' against.....??? Make up your minds!
    P.S. Why are the dates of our posts written in the US style with the month first and then the day???

People with disabilities or disabled people?
    I am so angry that people with 'Learning Disabilities' are now being described by politicians etc as 'those who have learning problems'.

I have a physical disability and my husband and son both have a hereditary learning disability, yet now they are both being classed as 'people with learning problems'.

If a person has a problem with learning then they are unable to learn and have to rely on others to help them through each and every day, they are just as completely disabled as someone with an obvious physical disability, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there (people believe in god or other deities), but we keep hearing the term learning problem on tv. It's like people with learning disabilities are now being referred to as 'problem' people. They just have 'problems' which is worse than being called 'handicapped' a previous and outdated term as mentioned above by Lighttouch.

Now with the paralympics ('Good luck to them!!!') it's like the politicians are starting to think that all disabled people can reach that level of achievement. How many of the GB paralympians are on Disability Living Allowance? Our government are already gunning for disabled people, and many have been thrown off of their DLA. As mentioned above by Lighttouch "Disabled people became angry and started to demonstrate that things needed to change." All that hard work, stress and perseverance in the past would be for nothing, if the government keep going in the direction that they are going in! We are scared that the government will blow the paralympics out of proportion.

We found this hard to write as my husband, myself and our son are all disabled and we are immensely proud of our GB Paralympic team but at the same time we are scared of a backlash on all disabled people including the parlympians by the government twisting the achievements afterwards.

FM

Its not just the government who are using the achievements of the paralympians against us. I've noticed that ordinary people on the street are doing the same. I've got mobility problems and struggle to walk on crutches. I've noticed first hand that people are much less considerate to me than they used to be, especially bus drivers who ignore me when i ask them to lower the bus and then give me looks of astonishment when i don't get on until they eventually do. Very few wait for me to sit down before setting off. Also i've had people on the street call me a scrounger and a benefit cheat because they now think that i'm able to do the sorts of thing that the paralympians have done and in that case should 'get a job'. All in all its getting to the point where i dread going out and its not like i can manage to do that much anyway. Just glad I've got some good friends to help me and who stick up for me against the ignorant people in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by galeforce81 View Post
    ........... the ignorant people in todays society.
    In fairness much ignorance comes from the simple fact that many able bodied people have absolutely no idea what it's like for us, why would they, why would they want to? As such, people who have no idea tend to have ideas put in their head easily.
    As you say GF81 the publics attitude has clearly changed and that is all down to this Govts terminology and the way the media have jumped on the bandwagon and we have no real voice to challenge them.

Senior Member ***Force_Majeure_007***'s Avatar
    Unfortunately, disabled people are certainly NOT immune from being ignorant of other disabled people's impairments and in our experience are often more so. My husband was having problems with a housing support service with a member of it's staff. The member of staff thought that he knew my husbands disability better than my husband did, because he was disabled himself. When he finally won the right to have support, the member of staff said "actually you are more disabled than me!". My husband was told afterwards by a non-disabled member of staff, that he could make a complaint against the disabled member of staff, but my husband, being who he is, didn't want to make a complaint, as the member of staff was also disabled and he didn't want to cause him more problems than he already faced. He now thinks that maybe he should have made the complaint as it would have shown that a disabled person was not capable of doing the job competently.

My husband hates having to write this, as he doesn't like going against other disabled people, however, it seems like disabled people that work also believe that because they can work, that all disabled people can work, and they discriminate the most against other disabled people.

Galeforce81 mentioned issues with getting on a bus and my husband sympathises with your situation. He cannot get a bus by himself. My husband has no physical disability, but has a hidden disability, learning disabilities and semantic memory problems. He cannot read at all, not even one word, despite going to adult reading classes to try to learn to read. He can get on a bus easily enough, but then has to ask the driver where he goes because he cannot read the front of the bus and because my husband looks normal he then gets judged by the driver and any passengers within earshot.

He cannot get a train by himself either, even though the station and on-board the train itself there are announcements, as he cannot remember names of places or people and cannot remember addresses, phone numbers, dates, times, appointments or when to take his diabetic and cholesterol medication.

My husband has faced discrimination from both non-disabled and disabled people.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by ***Force_Majeure_007*** View Post
    My husband has faced discrimination from both non-disabled and disabled people.

FM
    Oh absolutely FM. In fact I have to say that some of the most vile people I have had trouble with are "disabled" which I find more disturbing.