Thread: Council move

Council move

I am posting this on behalf of my mum. She is wheelchair bound and trapped in her own home as she lives on the 3rd floor with no lift and is unable to walk. Me and my brother are both adults and both still live with her. We are both big parts of her care team as her husband also has his own health issues and one of us is always with her. We are under Redbridge council and have been told they will not move me and my brother as we are non dependent adults.

Was just wondering if there was anything we could do to fight this, apart from trips in an ambulance she has not been outside for over a year. She is only 61 and is getting severely depressed about the situation.

Thank you

At first glance, I can understand where the council are coming from on this. Your Mum and Dad have a medical requirement for somewhere more suitable. This is reasonable. You and your brother will be seen as adequately housed.

The reality is that it would be much more difficult to find a 3 bedroom wheelchair accessible housing compared with a 1 bedroom. If you and your brother are over the age of 16 they will see you both as non dependent adults who can leave home at any given time. This is reasonable.
    As long as you emphasise that you and your brother are carers then hopefully somewhere will be found within a reasonable distance. If this isn’t the case then you and your brother would have a very good reason to ask for accommodation nearer your parents.

Good luck and I wish you all well.
    Last edited by RaspberryRipple; 10-08-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Your mum and dad would find that they ould apply for Sheltered Housing in their area. This would be ground floor living with support if needed.

https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/housing...accommodation/

You and your brother would then be a priority for rehousing and go to the top of the waiting list.