Thread: Severe Dissability Premium - waiting time

Severe Dissability Premium - waiting time

Hi, I'm new here. I recently won an award for PIP in tribunal with basic daily living and enhanced mobility. I was waiting 19 month for the case. Since I won back on Sept 3rd, I received a small 3 sheet form to apply for Severe Dissability Premium. I know very little about it, there isn't much info online, unlike other benefits.
    My question is not if I am entitled, but how long is the waiting time? I sent off the form on September 26th but can't find any information online about waiting times.
    Also as I was entitled to pip from early 2018, does this mean I will receive a back payment?
    Lastly, if I am found to be entitled, is the amount then added to my pip payment, esa payment or separate?

Thank you in advance. I wish I had found these forums a lot sooner

The SDP is £65.85 a week and is paid with your ESA.

You need to have an entitlement to IR ESA, basically no savings over £16K and not a working partner.

You need to have higer rate DLA or any rate PIP for daily living.
    And you have to be classed as living alone.

If you qualify then it will be backdated to the day you first qualified. So back to 2018.

Sorry I don't know about current lead times, but it's only been a couple of weeks since you sent the form so I'd give them another couple.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-13-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I got mine within a week (if I remember right was 2 working days as it included a weekend). Someone else close time to me also got hers very quickly as well. But my form was filled in over the phone I was already means tested previously so didnt need to do a ESA3 which probably would have made it took longer.

I had a phone call from ESA this morning to tell me my PIP result and thus entitled the SDP payment. So a couple of basic questions asked and then told the money would be added to my claim when payment next due.

Glad to hear everyone got a quick responses. I still havnt heard back from when I sent my form 23 days ago. I guess the paper form is slower than doing it over the phone? I meet all the requirements for it. However I haven't yet heard result. Just waiting patiently at the moment. There seems so little information online about SDP

Just as a quick update. Phoned dwp last week to find out update on the progression, only to be told first that they received my paper application but it goes to the bottom of the pile, as phone applications take priority, to be later told they hadn't received it. Either way, it didn't matter because I then applied on the phone. That was last Wednesday 23rd Oct. I live with a family member who also has esa and pip daily living and mobility. They applied by phone the previous week and was awarded SDP and had a back payment within 3-4 working days. Because they were entitled, does this garentee that I am also entitled to it? As I have seen that its depending on other also being entitled to it within the household.
    So little info online, and what there is, it's so confusing