Thread: esa back dates

esa back dates

hell every one I am bit stuck had the letter from esa bac date team had phone call saying it now in processing for 2012 to 2014 but also had another dwp ring up saying send another letter to them as my hubby was incorrectly took of his esa he was on incapacity first with full dla high for both I got cares for him then I was told to claim income support to top up when he was took of benefits in 2014 to which we now found out he should not of been took of I should of been added to his claim I also get dla high mobility low care when he was incapacity he also got exstra for his age being young wen came unfit for work so am I right in thinking we should of had more benefits for the years from 2014 to now instead of income support and my cares money any one can help please I just carnt work out what we should of been getting by way my hubby just had his dla gone over to pip to which he on high for both still

Hi bibby,

I think we'll need some more information to help.

If you could answer the following we could have a go:
    1. When (date) was his transfer from IB to ESA?
    2. Can you remember how much he was being paid for ESA?
    3. When (date) did his ESA stop?
    4. When (date) did you claim Income Support.
    5. Why did his ESA stop? (I'm guessing it was CB ESA WRAG and ran out after 52 weeks?).
    6. Are you still getting Carers Alowance for him?
    7. Are you still getting Income Support?
    8. Did you at any time during this period have savings or capital of over £6,000. (Probably not if you claimed Income Support).

Sorry for all the questions but your situation is complicated with all the different benefits and I'd need those extra answers to try and get my head around it.
    But with that extra information we should be able to come up with something.

It sounds as if his CB ESA should not have been stopped and should have been changed to IR ESA with you added to that claim as his partner.
    (In fact you should have been added when he first changed from IB to ESA, but that's the thing they got wrong and are now having to put right).

So I believe that he should be owed IR ESA with extra for a partner since his ESA was stopped, but then what you have already been paid as Income Support would have to be deducted from that.
    And I'm not sure about the age addition in IB which should/could have resulted in a Transitional Addition in ESA, which could further complicate the calculations. (Which is why I need to know how much ESA he was being paid if you can remember).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

hello mukecad yes think he got 110 esa I got cares plus told to top up with 29quid income support when he went over from incapacity Then they stopped his esa then I had to claim more income support for us as he had no money coming in then this was January 2014 been like it since he has not been able to work since before incapacity started he finished work in 2005 due to brain injury work paid him first then went onto IC then the ESA then that stopped I gave up work in 2005 to look after him as well he went over to esa october 2013
    Last edited by bibby; 10-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks I'll see what I can do with that, it would be better though if you could give the dates I asked for above, month and year should do.

It might be best if you could set them out in seperate lines like the questions are.

I'll have a look and get back to you, but it might be tomorrow.

OK I think I have extracted the answers, except for one important one, and I have a couple of others.

He gave up work and claimed IB in 2005.
    IB was changed to ESA in Oct 2013.
    He was getting approximately £110 ESA.
    The ESA was stopped in Jan 2014.
    You then claimed Carers Allowance, plus Income Support of £29. (Presumably you are still getting those?)

He was previously getting DLA but has now changed over to PIP, is he still getting that?
    Are you still getting DLA/PIP for yourself?

The big question remaining is why the ESA was stopped in Jan 2014, what reason did the DWP give at that time?
    That could be very important.

all I can remember is they said wasn't entlited to it no more and I got cares when he was on incapacity as well and yes I also dla mobility high care low I was told to claim income top up wen he was in incapacity yes he still on high for care and mobility on pip

OK this is the best I can do with the information that you have provided.

CB ESA WRAG for a single person in 2013 was- £71.70 + £28.45 = £100.15
    ESA WRAG for a couple both over 18 would have been- £112.55 + £28.45 = £141.30

From that it seems he had single rate ESA with a Transitional Addition (for the IB age allowance) of around £10.

As you were also getting Carers Allowance for looking after him there would be no Severe Disability Premium to add to his ESA for his DLA.

So the difference from what you were getting in ESA to what you should have got as a couple was about £31.45.

But you were also getting IS of £29 - so overall were short by about £2.45 a week while he was on ESA.

Then we come to when the ESA stopped.
    Without knowing why it stopped (from the dates you give then it doesn't seem to have 'run out' after 52 weeks) it's hard to say what should have happened.
    (We'd also need to know just what you IS increased to at that time to work out what any difference might be).

As you can see it's all very complicated with the multiple benefits, and to work it out properly there are a lot of things to know which we just don't know here.

Overall it does look that you are owed money (which could be a substantial amount depending on what you were being paid after the ESA stopped) and you should continue to 'work' with the DWP to get it sorted out.
    By 'work with the DWP' I mean send them any information that they ask for.
    They should be able to refer to their records to compare what you were paid with what should have been paid and calculate the difference.

Sorry I can't so any better, but without the information of why the ESA stopped, and what happened after that there is just not enough to go on.

THANKYOU ALL I CAN REMEMBER IS THEY SAiD HE COULDNT GET IT ANY MORE AND WE NOW GET 240 EVERY TWO WEEKS OF INCOME SURPPORT TO WHICH WE WAS PUT ON WHEN HIS ESA STOPPED plus my careas

hi just received letter saying not entlied to any back dates as got income support to which I was told to claim it to top up when he first went sick then went to incapacity to which income support stayed same then it went over to this bloody esa then it stopped then income support went up ime sure he still should of got more then he did as was married I thinking when went from incapacity to esa it should of been for married couple with disability premiums added on instead of being told it stopping and I had to claim exstra income support for him can any one help me please don't seem right thankyou