Thread: UC and contributions based ESA

UC and contributions based ESA

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before

Currently I claim CB ESA and my partner works, due to the level of care our son needs my partner is giving up work to become his carer as our son gets lower rate mobility and middle rate care components

I understand we will have to claim UC and that tax credits will stop but how will this effect my ESA? I’m on the old system in the support group.

TIA

If you do claim UC then CB ESA will still be paid seperately, but it will be classed as income and deducted £1 for £1 from the UC payment.

I understand we will have to claim UC
    I'm not sure that you need to claim UC at all, and it's something to take a careful look at.

The only reason you would have to claim UC is if you want to claim for something new, and unless you want to claim for help with your rent and are not already claiming Housing Benefit then I don't see the need for any new claim.

I'll have a go at a comparison of current benefits to UC, but you would need to double check this.

To start with did you win your appeal and get put back into Support Group? I'm assuming so as CB WRAG would have run out by now.
    (If I'm wrong and you have made a new ESA claim then the below will not be right).

As you have been on ESA since 2015 then it will be 'Old Style' ESA, and that being the case then if your partner gave up work to become a carer for your child then you should be able to have him added as a partner on your ESA claim.

This would be an IR top-up to your current 'Old Style' CB ESA and is done by submitting an ESA3 'Change of Circumstances' form.
    This is a Change of Circumstances and not a new claim, so doesn't mean claiming UC.
    If you did this then you would also get the Enhanced Disability Premium added to your ESA, another £16.80 a week.

So you would then get:

£114.85 Couples rate ESA.
    £ 38.55 Support Group.
    £ 16.80 EDP
    £170.20 Total ESA.

If your partner was then to make a claim for Carers Allowance that would not be paid but would give an 'underlying entitlement to CA' - this would mean that a 'Carer Premium' would then be added to the ESA adding another £36.85 and giving a total ESA weekly payment of £207.05

You can also claim £20.70 /week Child Benefit.

If you are already getting Child Tax Credit this would continue at the current rates and needs to be added on to the weekly total.
    That could be (maximums).
    up to £ 545 Basic amount
    up to £2780 For each child
    up to £3355 For each disabled child

Putting all that together that's a yearly total of £18,523, but of course that depends on what you actuallly get as Child Tax Credits.

Now lets take a look at the equivalent in UC:

£ 498.89 Standard Allowance - couple both over 25
    £ 336.20 LCWRA
    £ 277.08 Child element - first child
    £ 126.11 Disabled Child Addition (lower rate)
    £156.45 Carer Element
    £1394.73 Total monthly UC.

That's £16,736.76 UC/year

You can still claim £20.70 /week Child benefit alongside UC which will give another £1076.40 a year.

Making a total of £17813.16 a year UC + Child Benefit.

I think/hope I've got that right, as you can see it's not a simple comparision of ESA/UC as the other benefits all play a part in the totals.
    But like I say you may want to get it double checked, in particular what you currently get as Child Tax Credits could make a difference (and may change if your partner stops working).

And always remember that UC will come eventually, the CTC will get Managed Migrated as well as any IR ESA.
    But when that does happen you want to be on the maximium IR benefits you can - because that level of payment will be protected with a UC transitional addition.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-07-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you!
    Yes I won my appeal and was put back into the support group.
    It’s because of the need to claim help with housing as we currently have no help that we need to claim UC.
    Do you know if the ESA income counts as income when looking at healthy start vouchers and free prescriptions when on UC?

Well if you are going to claim UC for the Housing Element then the above about adding your partner to your ESA claim does not apply.

The UC stuff and Child Benefit should still be valid, but of course there will be a Housing Element to be added to UC.
    Just to note that as you have ESA Support Group the benefit cap should not apply.

As said the CB ESA will continue outside of UC but will be fully deducted from it, so you need to make sure that they also implement the LCWRA element in UC.
    You should not need a seperate assessment for both ESA and UC, one assessment/reassessment decision does the job for both at the same time.
    (You could if you wish close your CB ESA claim, it wouldn't change the money that you get overall. But that would mean that if your partner went back to full time work, or if you got a windfall say an inheritance, the UC could stop paying whereas CB ESA would not be affected).

As the CB ESA is 'Income' and not 'Earnings' then it should not affect free prescriptions.
    https://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa...rsal-credit-uc

The Healthy Start Voucher application says "Universal Credit (with a family take home pay of £408 or less per month)", I would not class ESA as 'take home pay'.
    https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/heal...lication-form/

Thank you so much you are amazing!
    I don’t want to close my CB ESA claim
    From all the stuff I’ve looked at and worked out with 3 children one of which on DLA and one of which born in 2018 with carers element and LCWRA
    UC will be around 17780
    Child benefit 2500
    Esa 5800
    Council tax help 1000
    Does that sound about right?
    I came to the same conclusion with regards to the prescription charges and healthy start vouchers.
    Again thank you so so much!

Using the figures here https://www.focusondisability.org.uk...2019-2020.html

I think you have undercalculated the UC somewhere, I make it:

£ 498.89 Standard Allowance - Couple one or both over 25
    £ 336.20 LCWRA (for yourself)
    £ 277.08 Child element - First child
    £ 231.67 Child Element - Second child.
    £ 126.11 Disabled Child Addition (Lower rate)
    £ 156.45 Carer Element (for your partner)
    £1626.40 Total monthly UC. (Not including any Housing Element).

That's £19,516.80 UC/year - Dont forget that there will be the Housing Element to add to that; and that the ESA will be deducted from it.

The Housing Element will be subject to LHA if you rent privately, or may be subject to the Spare Room Subsidy (Bedroom Tax) if it's Social Housing from a Housing Association.

I also make it £2,501.20 per year Child benefit.

And £5,805.80 /year CB ESA - Again that will be deducted from the UC.

I can't comment on the CTR, because each Local Authority has it's own rules.

And of course the child with DLA will get money for that.
    Middle Care of £57.80 /week and Lower Mobility of £23.20 /week which gives £4,212.00 a year.

Of course you could run it through one of the benefit calculators to double check. (Which should also be able to calculate the CTR from your Local Authority).
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-07-2019 at 03:55 PM.