Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP assessment nightmare

Need help - PIP assessment nightmare

I’m in a nightmare of a situation. I receive PIP and ESA due to my Social Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Order and some weeks ago I was sent forms for both to complete to continue to receive my benefits. I filled them in and requested to have a Paper-based assessment due to the severity of my disorders and explained my situation (I never go out, I hardly ever talk on the phone even etc due to the distress it causes me.). My mother asked the doctor to send a letter on my behalf and I even emailed my local MP to advocate on my behalf for me to have a paper-based assessment which he did. For the PIP they have now come back and said that they don’t have information and they can’t accept a paper based assessment, so they need to send someone to my home to see me. It’s like I’m being punished because the core mental health disorder I have is an inability to interact and see strangers. Even talking on the phone makes me burst into tears because it is so difficult for me.

I live with my mother. She has recently applied to become an Appointee for me. It should take another week or so to go through. Could my mother as an Appointee speak to the assessor if he/she visits our home on my behalf while I stay locked in my bathroom while the assessor visits?

I did read the following, “ 1.15.17 Where a claimant has an appointee, this will be flagged in the initial referral to the AP. Where an appointee has been nominated to represent the claimant, the claimant must not be instructed to attend a face-to-face consultation by the AP. This is because they have been deemed incapable of engaging directly with the DWP or its contracted APs. Instead, and only if a face-to-face consultation is deemed necessary, the AP must send the invite to the appointee only. ”
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-based-reviews

Does this mean my mother as an Appointee could speak to the assessor on my behalf? Would that to be acceptable to them? That would be a nightmare enough, there is no way I could actually see one of those assessors in person and speak with them, It’s impossible for me.

Regarding my ESA, I have actually been accepted to continue with my ESA and was never asked to see an assessor.
    Last edited by freshgold; 11-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.

They'll do a paper based assesment of you if you have enough evidence that they think they don't need to see you. I'm not sure hiding in the bathroom is going to help you. How can they assess you if you're hiding in the bathroom? I'd assume they'd count that as you not attending your appointment. I didn't go to one once (that was at one of their centres) and they didn't care why I wasn't there or that I had a legitimate excuse for not being there. They stopped my benefit until I did have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    They'll do a paper based assesment of you if you have enough evidence that they think they don't need to see you. I'm not sure hiding in the bathroom is going to help you. How can they assess you if you're hiding in the bathroom? I'd assume they'd count that as you not attending your appointment. I didn't go to one once (that was at one of their centres) and they didn't care why I wasn't there or that I had a legitimate excuse for not being there. They stopped my benefit until I did have one.
    What about if I talk through the door?

I don’t think they have enough evidence which is why they declined a paper based review. I thought maybe emailing my gp surgery for my medical records and send that to PIP regarding the records on mental health stretching back might help?

The problem with my situation like a lot of those with severe social anxiety disorder is that because we have such distress in social situations we don’t go to doctors surgeries etc. so I am not medication or seeing a psychologist etc. because I don’t go out, which I could give to PIP as evidence.

They accepted the ESA without an in-person assessment but for some reason not the PIP as of yet

I went to a face to face a few years back, I told them I had problems interacting with people due to psychosis and anxiety as well as other things and my misses came with me.

I have an issue where if I’m anxious I am physically sick, it hurts like hell, this doesn’t stop until I’ve calmed down and due to this I was throwing up for over an hour in the interview... the assessor spoke to my partner for the information although I tried to help when I could.

If it’s clear you have anxiety issues during the interview I see no reason they won’t allow your mother to speak, and don’t hide them let them clearly see it’s hard for you... you do yourself no favors putting on a brave face to make their job easier.

I’m going through similar myself, I’ve had my renewal form and I’m hoping they take note of what the last assessor said that It caused me severe distress and just leave me alone. I can’t even speak to them directly as the last person I called hung up on me as soon as I started being sick.

Good luck, it’s gonna be a struggle just make sure your mother is up to date on the descriptors and don’t allow them to do dictate what they think you can do, get your mother to tell them what you can’t do and give examples if you have them.

Why not simply ask for a home assessment and have someone familiar with you.
    If you are serious about claiming the benefit then you don’t have a lot of choice and you may find that the whole experience isn’t as bad as you thought.
    If you refuse to have a face to face then they could disregard the entire claim.
    Good luck.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    Why not simply ask for a home assessment and have someone familiar with you.
    If you are serious about claiming the benefit then you don’t have a lot of choice and you may find that the whole experience isn’t as bad as you thought.
    If you refuse to have a face to face then they could disregard the entire claim.
    Good luck.
    They would give me a home assessment but that hardly is an accommodation. Sorry but I just don’t you think understand the severity of my social anxiety disorder. I don’t see and can’t see strangers. I am housebound due to the severity of my social anxiety. It is patronising to say to me that “I may find that the whole experience” not “as bad as you thought” when I am housebound due to my social anxiety and can not even pick up a phone to speak to a stranger without breaking down and that doesn’t even involve a face to face interaction.

I am already receiving PIP and have done so for years. In 2016 when i was moved from DLA to PIP I was initially asked for a face to face assessment I think, but after I asked by MP to contact them I was given a a paper based assessment, and I was basically in much of the same situation that I am now, nothing has drastically changed in my life in terms of my medical status from then until now. I am simply on here to seek advice on what I could possibly do in my position to have my renewal judged by paper based assessment.
    Last edited by freshgold; 11-10-2019 at 04:24 PM.

The PIP assessment guide says, Under ‘Cases that should not require a face-to-face consultation’ “ There is strong evidence on which to advise on the case and a face-to- face consultation is likely to be stressful for the claimant (for example, claimants with autism, cognitive impairment or learning disability)”
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...nt-process.pdf

What counts as “strong evidence”? I’ve already provided a letter from my doctor but wasn’t sufficient. My mum is going to ask the doctor to write another letter.

I rang the DWP and complained about Maximus and their insistence on a f2f at a assessment centre. The words I used were " I was owed a duty of care". I pointed out I had no objection to a home assessment what so ever but it had to be at my home. They then sent a 113 form to my GP who duly filled it in with exactly the same info that was on my form.
    Result was a paper assessment.
    You can download the ESA113 so perhaps ask someone to take it to your GP and fill it in for you and send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornwall View Post
    I rang the DWP and complained about Maximus and their insistence on a f2f at a assessment centre. The words I used were " I was owed a duty of care". I pointed out I had no objection to a home assessment what so ever but it had to be at my home. They then sent a 113 form to my GP who duly filled it in with exactly the same info that was on my form.
    Result was a paper assessment.
    You can download the ESA113 so perhaps ask someone to take it to your GP and fill it in for you and send it back.
    Hi, but what be for the form for PIP? I couldn’t find one for PIP for a healthcare provider such as my GP to fill in?

Quote Originally Posted by freshgold View Post
    Hi, but what be for the form for PIP? I couldn’t find one for PIP for a healthcare provider such as my GP to fill in?
    Ah no it was for ESA, I didn't have a problem with PIP ATOS just rang my MS nurse who advised a home visit which is what I had.
    Duty of care still applies though so ring the DWP and explain what is going on. Also involve your MP if you have to.