Thread: Wheelchair accessible vehicles and Access to Work

Question Wheelchair accessible vehicles and Access to Work

I am looking into replacing my current wheelchair accessible vehicle, which I have on Motability contract hire. It is over 5 ½ years old and I now need the steering lightened.
    As usual, I am hoping to get help from access to work. Now, access to work has helped with all my previous vehicles on which includes a number of estate cars and my previous 2 wheelchair accessible vehicles.
    My understanding of the rules is that access to work will help with the cost of converting/adapting vehicles but not the cost of purchasing the vehicles (Motability advance payment). This was fine for my estate cars and my 1st wheelchair accessible vehicle because the advance payment for the car was separate from the cost of adapting/converting the vehicle.
    The problem started with my current vehicle because the advance payment of 14,000 included the cost of converting it into a wheelchair accessible vehicle. So, I managed to explain this in 2014 to my last access to work application and they agreed the proportion they would pay and applied it to the full amount, around £18,000.
    As you can probably guess, this has come up again and access to work have initially only offered to help with the cost over and above the initial payment. Total cost of approximately £21,000 which breaks down into an advanced payment of £18,000 and about £3000 for additional adaptions.. I have just sent them a long email trying to explain that the advance payment of £18,000 includes adaptions and conversions.
    I will end with my question (which I included at the end of my email to access to work). I cannot be the only person in this position (namely that the advance payment includes conversions and adaptions). Do other people have experience they can share.

Thanks

Hello wheels497
    Do you know that the mobility scheme can help you with WAV's and adaptions? https://www.motability.co.uk/product...ations/prices/ Making it affordable

The Motability Scheme works with WAV suppliers to keep prices as low as possible and the lease payments come directly from your higher rate mobility allowance.

You’ll need to pay an Advance Payment at the start of your lease to make up the difference between your allowance payments and what the lease costs. Advance Payments are calculated by considering factors such as the cost of the WAV, its servicing and maintenance and its expected resale value at the end of your contract.

If you need a WAV but can’t afford the Advance Payment, Motability (the charity) may be able to provide financial help in new window

May I also point you to Which Mobility Car forum for excellent help and support on all things Mobility car related. Lots of help and advice there.

Hello

I would be grateful if someone could answer my specific question regarding access to work and what they do when the advance payment cannot be broken down into the advanced payment for the car and the cost of converting.

Sorry Joss, but if you have really read my post you would have understood that I am a long time Motability customer and all about the scheme and the availability of grants. For the moment, my question is specifically about access to work.

Thanks

AFAIK any required adaptations should be paid for by the Motability charity (Not the Motability lease company) so should not be included in any AP required by the lease company.

It's important to recognise that there are two different arms to Motability, one is a charity (which will pay the cost of necessary adaptatations) the other is a commercial enterprise (that leases cars).

If the adaptations that you want are not covered by the charity then it's a comnercial cost which would have to be justified to Access to Work.

You seem to be in between the two schemes, so need to work out which applies in your particular case.
    Last edited by nukecad; 17-11-19 at 19:05.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

It seems I need to clarify some things.

I have had many cars through Motability throughout my life. I have never had assistance from the grant department, owing to my earnings and savings, however, I really do not want to get into a discussion about Motability grants (that is my plan B and I do have an application form started but I still had to decide whether I want to go down that road).

For at least the last 6 cars I have had help from access to work. The last 2 cars were extremely expensive because I had to go for wheelchair accessible vehicles with the ability to transfer to the driver seat (internal transfer).

Now access to work will not help with purchasing the vehicle but will help with the costs of converting or adapting a car. The advanced payment for the vehicle I want (the vehicle that I need) is £18,000. Now that amount includes significant conversion costs, however, I do not believe it is possible to get Motability or the company to break that down into what was for the car and what is for the conversion. Access to work is saying they cannot help with the £18,000 unless I get that break down. Has anyone else been in this position and what was the outcome?

6 years ago the gentleman at access to work just accepted it was not possible to break down the cost and gave me 4/7 of the total cost. However, this time the person dealing with my application is not accepting that explanation.

Thanks